How to Calculate Forces in a Beam Using the Method of Sections

In summary, the method of sections is a technique used in statics to determine internal forces within a structure by cutting it into smaller parts and analyzing the equilibrium of each part. It should be used when external forces are known but internal forces need to be determined, and is particularly useful for complex structures. To apply the method, the structure is cut and the equilibrium of each part is analyzed using equations of static equilibrium. Advantages of this method include simplifying analysis and allowing for determination of internal forces at specific points. However, limitations include unsuitability for variable or distributed loads, inability to determine reactions at supports, and potential inaccuracies with significant deformations.
Arty7
IHi guys with part b of this question I am having trouble. I have cut it it at the specified members and used the top half. Now i take the moment at A to get the force in BC. (CW+)M@A=(6*3)+(6cos(30)*3)=0, But when you solve this it doesn't give you the answer its supposed to be, I am probably blind & missing something. Please check out the attachments i provided some more info on it.

Thankyou in Advance.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No attachments provided.

Sorry man, its up now

Where do you get 30 degrees from? Check your triangles.

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track with your approach. However, I noticed that you may have forgotten to include the weight of the beam in your calculations. Remember that the weight of the beam will also contribute to the moment at A. So your equation should be: (CW+)M@A=(6*3)+(6cos(30)*3)+(5*3*3/2)=0. By including the weight of the beam, you should be able to solve for the correct answer. I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your problem!

1. What is the method of sections in statics?

The method of sections is a technique used in statics to determine the internal forces within a structure by cutting the structure into two or more parts and analyzing the equilibrium of each part.

2. When should the method of sections be used?

The method of sections should be used when the external forces acting on a structure are known, but the internal forces within the structure need to be determined. It is particularly useful for analyzing complex structures with multiple members and loads.

3. How do you apply the method of sections?

To apply the method of sections, the structure is first cut into two or more parts by drawing a section through the structure. Then, the equilibrium of each part is analyzed by considering the forces acting on it and applying the equations of static equilibrium.

4. What are the advantages of using the method of sections?

One advantage of using the method of sections is that it simplifies the analysis of complex structures by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It also allows for the determination of internal forces at specific points within the structure.

5. Are there any limitations to using the method of sections?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the method of sections. It may not be suitable for structures with variable or distributed loads, and it cannot be used to determine reactions at supports. Additionally, the method may not be accurate in cases where there are significant deformations within the structure.