AdS/CFT derived from Kaluza theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper that claims to have a major breakthrough in AdS/CFT correspondence, but is considered nonsensical by most of the participants. The paper uses complicated math and is not published in a peer-reviewed journal. Despite this, it sparks a discussion about the purpose and use of English in scientific communication and the importance of understanding quantum mechanics in relation to AdS/CFT. Overall, the conversation is seen as an excellent theoretical exercise in the field.
Phys-excess
Has there been a major breakthrough in AdS/CFT correspondence? The maths are so simple compared to what I normally read on AdS/CFT. Could this be accurate? Accurate or not, this an excellent theoretical exercise in the braneworld.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxV2HFmw-aNMcEktN3Jhd0d4eW8/edit [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wish someone could answer to this question...

kevinferreira said:
I wish someone could answer to this question...
The paper is nonsensical. It is so nonsensical that I don't even want to discuss it, because that will just encourage the author to try to explain it to me.

Last edited:
mitchell porter said:
The paper is nonsensical. It is so nonsensical that I don't even want to discuss it, because that will just encourage the author to try to explain it to me.

glad you posted...I didn't understand the math, but that paper seemed REALLY weird!

Like, poor introduction and no conclusions?

mitchell porter said:
The paper is nonsensical.

I agree. I think the scientific community's unified use English for scientific communication has a purpose. When a paper like this appears written in Esperanto using the wingdings dingbat font it can be nothing other than pure nonsense. Who even knows Esperanto or can read the dingbat fonts? The only reason I posted this is because I did understand the math which appears to explain AdS/CFT better than anyone else has.

Phys-excess said:
The only reason I posted this is because I did understand the math which appears to explain AdS/CFT better than anyone else has.
AdS/CFT duality is a highly nontrivial equivalence between two quantum theories. The bulk of this paper talks about purely classical relations like boundary conditions. Quantum mechanics hardly shows up, except for a few token comments.

This paper has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal. Therefore, we don't allow it on this forum.

Thread locked.

1. What is the AdS/CFT correspondence?

The AdS/CFT correspondence is a duality between two seemingly different theories: Anti-de Sitter space (AdS) and conformal field theory (CFT). It states that a quantum field theory in a curved space (AdS) is equivalent to a quantum field theory on the boundary of that space (CFT), and vice versa.

2. How is AdS/CFT derived from Kaluza theory?

Kaluza theory is an extension of Einstein's theory of general relativity that introduces an extra dimension. AdS/CFT is derived from Kaluza theory by compactifying this extra dimension into a circle and considering the resulting 5-dimensional theory. It was later shown that this 5-dimensional theory is equivalent to a 4-dimensional theory on the boundary of AdS space, giving rise to the AdS/CFT correspondence.

3. What is the significance of AdS/CFT in theoretical physics?

AdS/CFT has been hailed as one of the most important developments in theoretical physics in recent years. It has provided a powerful tool for studying the behavior of strongly interacting quantum field theories, such as those found in particle physics and condensed matter systems. It has also allowed for insights into the nature of quantum gravity and the black hole information paradox.

4. How has AdS/CFT been tested and verified?

AdS/CFT has been extensively studied and tested through numerical simulations, analytical calculations, and comparisons with experimental results. One notable success is the calculation of the thermodynamic properties of a quark-gluon plasma using AdS/CFT, which was later confirmed by experimental observations at the Large Hadron Collider.

5. What are the current challenges and limitations of AdS/CFT?

Despite its successes, there are still many open questions and challenges in using AdS/CFT to understand the complexities of quantum gravity and strongly interacting systems. One limitation is that AdS/CFT is only applicable to a specific class of theories, and its application to more general situations is still an active area of research. Additionally, there are still many aspects of the AdS/CFT correspondence that are not fully understood, such as the precise nature of the duality and how it can be extended to include time-dependent systems.