How much do physics post-docs pay

• Thread starter narayan.rocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: It is not uncommon for a postdoc to make less than a professor. You would need to do more research to find out exactly what the pay is for a postdoc at a particular institution.
narayan.rocks
I am a high school student starting grade 11 this year. I am really not happy with education in India here so i plan to go abroad probably US for my undergrad physics degree.I also intend to apply to a US grad school for my Phd after my Undergrad work.So this whole will take about 7 years on avergage and i will be 23 by the time i get my Phd. So after i get my Phd if i get a postdoc at a university or any other organisation how much do they pay . I love physics and doing Physics but i don't want to be underpaid after 7 years of hardwork . I don't have any intention on marrying or having kids .
So what kind of lifestyle can i ( only me without family , alone ) have with the postdoc level of salary .

Physics news on Phys.org

7 years for a bachelors and phd? damn. I hope I can finish my PhD in 7.

narayan.rocks said:
I am a high school student starting grade 11 this year. I am really not happy with education in India here so i plan to go abroad probably US for my undergrad physics degree.I also intend to apply to a US grad school for my Phd after my Undergrad work.So this whole will take about 7 years on avergage and i will be 23 by the time i get my Phd. So after i get my Phd if i get a postdoc at a university or any other organisation how much do they pay . I love physics and doing Physics but i don't want to be underpaid after 7 years of hardwork . I don't have any intention on marrying or having kids .
So what kind of lifestyle can i ( only me without family , alone ) have with the postdoc level of salary .

Isn't it a bit ridiculous to start thinking about postdoc pay at this stage? Whatever info we give you now will be either out of date, or no longer applies, by the time you get to being a postdoc. This is ignoring the fact that postdoc pay varies widely at different institutions.

I also do not think you understand what a "postdoc" is, because from the way you are describing it, you think it is a permanent job.

Zz.

The average PhD in physics takes 7.5 years of graduate school. The masters work alone can take 3 years; you will not finish the PhD in that time. Expect 8-12 years of college total. The pay for a postdoc can change quite a bit in that time.

1. How much do physics post-docs typically get paid?

The average salary for a physics post-doc is around $50,000 to $60,000 per year. However, this can vary depending on factors such as location, institution, and field of research.

2. Is the pay for physics post-docs higher than other post-doc positions?

In general, the pay for physics post-docs is similar to other fields of research. However, some institutions or organizations may offer higher salaries for physics post-docs due to the specialized nature of their research.

3. Do physics post-docs receive benefits in addition to their salary?

Yes, most physics post-docs receive benefits such as health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. However, the specific benefits may vary depending on the institution or organization.

4. Can physics post-docs negotiate their salary?

Yes, it is possible for physics post-docs to negotiate their salary. This is often done during the job offer stage and can depend on factors such as experience, qualifications, and the institution's budget.

5. Are there any opportunities for additional income as a physics post-doc?

Some physics post-docs may have the opportunity to earn additional income through teaching or consulting work. However, this is not a guaranteed source of income and availability may vary depending on the institution and individual circumstances.