Question about fluid dynamics (calculating concentration)

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the concentration of air and carbon monoxide in a pipe when it is diluted by another gas cylinder. The individuals suggest using the equation C1*F1=C2*F2 for perfect mixing and calculating the molar flow rates of each gas. They also mention accounting for temperature and viscosity, with viscosity being less of a factor. The main question revolves around how to calculate the concentration from the molar flow rates.
dynamic_sample
Hi all,

I have a question about calculating the concentration of continuous air and carbon monoxide flowing through a pipe. If the gas cylinder originally has 20% CO and 80% air and it will be diluted by another gas cylinder of air, how do you account for temperature, pressure, and 'viscosity' of the gases when calculating the concentration in ppm?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
To a reasonable approximation, you can probably assume perfect mixing and get the concentration from that. Do you know the flow rates from both the original source and the diluting gas?

Yeah, I know the flow rates from both so, I can use C1*F1=C2*F2. I'm assuming perfect mixing. Do you know how I could correct for temperature or viscosity?

Viscosity shouldn't matter if you know the flow rate, and temperature will cause a change in the density (which could change the mass flow rate). I would probably calculate the molar flow rates of each first (based on volumetric flow rate and density), and then the concentration of the resultant mixture should be fairly easy to find.

You know a lot more about this than I do. Thank you for your help! I found the molar flow rate in mol/min. I know this might be obvious, but I can't figure out how to calculate concentration from here. Thank you again!

1. How do you calculate concentration in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, concentration is calculated by dividing the mass of the solute by the total volume of the solution. This can be represented by the formula C = m/V, where C is concentration, m is mass, and V is volume.

2. What is the difference between concentration and density in fluid dynamics?

Concentration refers to the amount of solute present in a solution, while density refers to the mass per unit volume of a substance. In fluid dynamics, concentration is typically measured in units of moles per liter (mol/L), while density is measured in units of kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3).

3. How does temperature affect concentration in fluid dynamics?

In general, as temperature increases, the solubility of a solute in a solution also increases. This means that the concentration of a solution will increase as temperature increases. However, this relationship is not always linear and can depend on the specific solute and solvent being used.

4. What is the significance of concentration in fluid dynamics?

Concentration is an important factor to consider in fluid dynamics as it affects the properties and behavior of the fluid. For example, a higher concentration of solute in a solution can increase the viscosity of the fluid, making it more resistant to flow. Concentration can also impact the rate of diffusion and chemical reactions within the fluid.

5. How do you measure concentration in fluid dynamics experiments?

There are several methods for measuring concentration in fluid dynamics experiments, including spectrophotometry, chromatography, and titration. These methods involve analyzing the optical or chemical properties of the solution to determine the concentration of the solute present. The choice of method will depend on the specific properties of the solute and the accuracy required for the experiment.