HR diagram: magnitude - luminosity relation

In summary, Robin is trying to figure out how to measure luminosity for a star. He is aware that flux and magnitude are not the same, and he is looking for a relation between luminosity and flux.
stargazer3
Hey PF,

I'm just being stupid today, because I can't figure out the way HR diagram is constructed, hope you guys can help. So suppose that you complete an observation in several different filters, and you need to work out the luminosity and temperature for each object in your field of view.

Now for the temperature you could just plot an instrumental magnitude against filter wavelength and fit a black-body profile to it, the peak of the curve showing the effective temperature of the star.

But what about the luminosity? Is it reasonable to take an area of one pixel and, knowing average photon count rate, integrate it over 4π steradians? Then, after multiplying by a typical photon energy (assuming the filters are quite narrow), I'd get a luminosity from a particular source? Something seems wrong here, but I can't figure out what. Is it because the atmospheric absorption is not considered? If so, how to do it properly?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Luckily for us there is a relation between the apparent magnitude m & luminosity L for a star.

L=4πmd2

And the apparent magnitude is easily measured with or without a CCD/DSLR etc. This is commonly done by people who observer variable stars.

Last edited:
RobinSky said:
Luckily for us there is a relation between the apparent magnitude m & luminosity L for a star.

L=4πmd2

And the apparent magnitude is easily measured with or without a CCD/DSLR etc. This is commonly done by people who observer variable stars.

This is not actually true (at all). The relation is between luminosity and FLUX (or irradiance, if you prefer), which I'll call F. F is basically the rate at which light energy arrives, per unit area, in watts per square metre. The relation is:

L = (4πd2) F

It's true that a CCD measures flux, but it's not true that flux and apparent magnitude are the same thing. They are related though:

m = -2.5*log(F/F0).

where F0 is an arbitrary reference flux (the flux of a source that you define to have magnitude 0 in whatever magnitude scale you're using).

cepheid said:
This is not actually true (at all). The relation is between luminosity and FLUX (or irradiance, if you prefer), which I'll call F. F is basically the rate at which light energy arrives, per unit area, in watts per square metre. The relation is:

L = (4πd2) F

It's true that a CCD measures flux, but it's not true that flux and apparent magnitude are the same thing. They are related though:

m = -2.5*log(F/F0).

where F0 is an arbitrary reference flux (the flux of a source that you define to have magnitude 0 in whatever magnitude scale you're using).

I'm very well aware that magnitude and flux is not equal. Yet, thank you for your correction. I'm sorry I didn't know that the relationship held true between luminosity and flux, and not between luminosity and magnitude as I thought before.
I also see on Wikipedia the relationship you mentioned

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity#section_1

At luminosity formulas. Thanks! :-)

Regards,
Robin.

Hi there,

The HR diagram, or Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, is a plot of stars' luminosity (brightness) against their spectral class (temperature). It is a useful tool for astronomers to understand the life cycle and evolution of stars.

To determine the luminosity of a star, we need to measure its distance and apparent magnitude (brightness as seen from Earth). Using the distance, we can calculate the absolute magnitude, which is the brightness the star would have if it were 10 parsecs away (a standard distance used in astronomy). The difference between the apparent and absolute magnitudes gives us the distance modulus, which is used to determine the star's luminosity.

As for your question about integrating the photon count to determine luminosity, this method is not accurate. It does not take into account the effects of atmospheric absorption, as you mentioned, and it also does not consider the different wavelengths of light emitted by the star. Instead, astronomers use a combination of photometric and spectroscopic measurements to determine a star's luminosity.

I hope this helps clarify the construction of the HR diagram and the determination of luminosity. Keep exploring and asking questions - that's what science is all about!

What is the HR diagram and what does it represent?

The HR diagram, also known as the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, is a plot of stars' luminosity (brightness) versus their temperature (color). It is a useful tool for understanding the life cycle and characteristics of stars.

What is the significance of the magnitude-luminosity relation in the HR diagram?

The magnitude-luminosity relation in the HR diagram shows the relationship between a star's brightness (magnitude) and its intrinsic luminosity (energy output). This can tell us about a star's size, temperature, and stage of evolution.

What is the main purpose of using the HR diagram in astronomy?

The main purpose of using the HR diagram in astronomy is to classify and understand different types of stars based on their position on the diagram. This can give insight into their age, mass, and future evolution.

How are stars classified on the HR diagram?

Stars are classified on the HR diagram based on their spectral type (related to temperature) and luminosity class (related to brightness). This classification system is known as the Morgan-Keenan or MK system.

What can the HR diagram tell us about the evolution of stars?

The HR diagram can tell us about the evolution of stars by showing the different stages of a star's life cycle. For example, stars on the main sequence are in the longest stage of their lives, while stars in other regions of the diagram may be in different stages of evolution such as red giants or white dwarfs.