Applied physics to theoretical

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between applied physics and theoretical physics, with the individual seeking clarification on the potential for pursuing theoretical physics with a degree in applied physics. The conversation also touches on the historical notion of fields within physics being classified as either applied or not, and the presence of both theorists and experimentalists in various fields. Overall, it is determined that an applied physics program may still provide a solid foundation for pursuing theoretical physics.
Nathew
Okay, so, the college I will probably attend is more of a applied physics program. If I want to go on to study particle physics or even theoretical physics would I have a chance if my bachelors is in applied physics?

I talked with the head of physics and he said they have a combined math physics program that will allow me to learn the maths necessary for higher physics. Is this a good plan?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is an applied physics program?

Much of theoretical physics is what I imagine most would consider applied physics.

Like the program doesn't go into general relativity or stuff like that.

This appears to be another example of a wrong understanding of what "theoretical physics" is.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3727 [Broken]

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
That does clear things up. Thank you.
However, the head of physics still said the program is more applied physics.

What did he mean by that then?

Shouldn't you ask him what he meant by that?

This is very hard to answer, since you seem to have a misunderstanding of what theoretical physics is and not a very clear idea what applied physics is.

Vanadium 50 said:
Shouldn't you ask him what he meant by that?

This is very hard to answer, since you seem to have a misunderstanding of what theoretical physics is and not a very clear idea what applied physics is.

Yes, I should have. But I didn't. I don't know what you want me to do. It was more convenient for me to just ask here considering I only saw him briefly.

What was the point of your post?

To me "applied" implies just that - emphasis on application. A "regular" physics degree is almost all theory. There is very little lab or application studied. Applied physics programs probably spend less time with Griffiths and more time in a lab. Less time on Boas and more time coding solutions. Thats what I would guess.

I think you could go into theory from an applied physics BS. Unless your program is starkly deficient in basic textbook theory... But that can be made up by you if you really want.

Nathew said:
What was the point of your post?

To point out your question was sufficiently unclear as to preclude a useful answer. We need to be talking in a common language, and we are not. Look at the answer by ModusPwnd: he's trying to figure out what you mean.

ModusPwnd said:
To me "applied" implies just that - emphasis on application. A "regular" physics degree is almost all theory. There is very little lab or application studied. Applied physics programs probably spend less time with Griffiths and more time in a lab. Less time on Boas and more time coding solutions. Thats what I would guess.

I think you could go into theory from an applied physics BS. Unless your program is starkly deficient in basic textbook theory... But that can be made up by you if you really want.

This is incorrect, or at least in correct for most cases. Case in point: open journals such as Journal of Applied Physics. You'll see theoretical papers in there as well!

It has more to do with a historical notion of areas of physics that has an obvious "application". So condensed matter physics, accelerator physics, optics, atomic/molecular physics, etc. are considered to be "applied", whereas high energy physics, elementary particles, string/quantum gravity, etc. are often considered as to not be "applied".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So condensed matter physics, accelerator physics, optics, atomic/molecular physics, etc. are considered to be "applied", whereas high energy physics, elementary particles, string/quantum gravity, etc. are often considered as to not be "applied".

And note that all of these fields except string/QG have both theorists and experimentalists.

Okay. I think I have a better understanding now. Thank you guys!

1. What is applied physics?

Applied physics is the branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of physical principles and theories to solve real-world problems and develop technologies.

2. How does applied physics differ from theoretical physics?

Applied physics is concerned with the practical application of physical principles, while theoretical physics is focused on developing and testing theories to explain the fundamental laws of nature.

3. What are some examples of applied physics?

Some examples of applied physics include the development of medical imaging technologies, renewable energy sources, and advanced materials for engineering and construction.

4. How does applied physics contribute to technological advancements?

Applied physics plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies by providing a fundamental understanding of physical principles and their practical applications. It also helps to identify and solve problems in various industries.

5. What skills are necessary for a career in applied physics?

A career in applied physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics and theoretical physics, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental design skills. It also requires the ability to effectively communicate complex concepts and work well in a team setting.