Why symmetry breaking a paradigm whilst not describing Fermi liquid?

In summary: In liquids, like in any matter with finite density, e.g. Galilean invariance is broken which leads to the appearance of sound waves as Goldstone bosons of the broken symmetry.If you could be more specific about which order you are talking it would be easier to determine whether it corresponds to some symmetry.
nonequilibrium
Hi!

So I'm a bit confused: first off, does Fermi liquid theory have "order". I suppose it depends on how you define order. But in case it does, is it described by symmetry breaking?

From what I read, I think it does have order which is not described by symmetry breaking. But then I have trouble understanding why Landau symmetry breaking was regarded as a paradigm for so long if another theory by Landau, i.e. Fermi liquids, did not fit it! (yes I know the paradigm is now overthrown too by topological order but that's not relevant here)

Physics news on Phys.org
In liquids, like in any matter with finite density, e.g. Galilean invariance is broken which leads to the appearance of sound waves as Goldstone bosons of the broken symmetry.
If you could be more specific about which order you are talking it would be easier to determine whether it corresponds to some symmetry.

nonequilibrium said:
Hi!

So I'm a bit confused: first off, does Fermi liquid theory have "order". I suppose it depends on how you define order. But in case it does, is it described by symmetry breaking?

From what I read, I think it does have order which is not described by symmetry breaking. But then I have trouble understanding why Landau symmetry breaking was regarded as a paradigm for so long if another theory by Landau, i.e. Fermi liquids, did not fit it! (yes I know the paradigm is now overthrown too by topological order but that's not relevant here)

Is your question whether the Fermi liquid is a state with an order different from the Fermi gas, or whether you can have phase transitions in the Fermi liquid? If it is the latter, then yes, you can have instabilities that lead to magnetic ordering or pairing. If it is the first, I think the point is that the models are adiabatically connected, so there is no change of state or order. It's just that in one case you have a metal with very weak electron-electron interactions, and in another the interactions can be quite strong.

1. What is symmetry breaking?

Symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where a system that exhibits symmetrical behavior at a fundamental level behaves in a way that is not symmetrical at a larger scale. This means that the behavior of the system is no longer uniform and can vary depending on different conditions or parameters.

2. What is a paradigm?

A paradigm is a widely accepted theory, concept, or way of thinking that explains a certain phenomenon or set of phenomena. It is often used as a framework for understanding and interpreting data and observations in a particular field of study.

3. How does symmetry breaking relate to paradigms?

Symmetry breaking can challenge or break existing paradigms by providing new insights and explanations for observed phenomena. It can also lead to the development of new paradigms that better describe and explain the behavior of a system.

4. Why is symmetry breaking important in the study of Fermi liquids?

Fermi liquids are a type of quantum system that exhibit symmetrical behavior at low temperatures. However, when symmetry breaking occurs, it can lead to new and unexpected behaviors in these systems, providing valuable insights into their nature and properties.

5. How does symmetry breaking impact our understanding of Fermi liquids?

Symmetry breaking allows us to explore the behavior of Fermi liquids beyond the boundaries of traditional paradigms, leading to a deeper understanding of their properties and potential applications. It also opens up new avenues for research and discovery in the field of quantum physics.