Solving Equations with the Lambert W Function: A* (e^2x - e^x) + b*x = c

• Thread starter jya
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of solving the equation a*(e^(2x)-e^x)+b*x=c in terms of a, b, and c. It is suggested that this can be done by finding the intersection of a line with a quadratic in e^x, represented by the equation e^x*(e^x-1)=mx+k, where m=-b/a and k=c/a. It is also mentioned that there may be a special function that can solve this problem without needing to look at a graph.
jya
I know we can solve e^x=x by the Lambert W function, but is it possible to solve the following equation:

a*(e^(2x)-e^x)+b*x=c

in terms of a, b, and c.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

solve: a*(e^(2x)-e^x)+b*x=c ... in terms of a, b, and c.
Solving for x given a,b,c you mean? That would be the intersection of a line with a quadratic in e^x... that is $$ e^{x}\left ( e^x - 1\right ) = mx+k$$ ...where ##m=-b/a## and ##k=c/a##.
And you want to find x given m and k.
That help?

Last edited:
Thank you Simon. Yes. I am wondering if there is some special function can solve this problem, i.e. given the values of a,b,c (or m,k in your equation) I can find out the value of x without looking at the graph.
Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;

Solving for x given a,b,c you mean? That would be the intersection of a line with a quadratic in e^x... that is $$ e^{x}\left ( e^x - 1\right ) = mx+k$$ ...where ##m=-b/a## and ##k=c/a##.
And you want to find x given m and k.
That help?

1. How do I know which method to use to solve an equation?

The method you use to solve an equation depends on the type of equation you are working with. For linear equations, you can use the elimination or substitution method. For quadratic equations, you can use factoring, the quadratic formula, or completing the square. It is important to understand the properties and rules of each method in order to determine the most efficient way to solve the equation.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve an equation?

While a calculator can be a helpful tool in solving equations, it is important to first understand the steps and concepts behind solving the equation. Relying solely on a calculator can hinder your ability to fully understand and solve the equation on your own. It is recommended to only use a calculator as a tool to check your work.

3. How can I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the solution back into the original equation and solve to see if the equation holds true. For example, if your solution is x = 3, you can plug in 3 for x in the original equation and see if both sides still equal each other. If they do, then your solution is correct.

4. What do I do if I get a negative or imaginary number as my solution?

If you get a negative or imaginary number as your solution, it means that the equation does not have a real number solution. This is common in quadratic equations, where the solutions may be complex numbers. In these cases, you can leave your answer in terms of the imaginary number or simplify it to a decimal approximation.

5. How can I improve my equation-solving skills?

The best way to improve your equation-solving skills is through practice and understanding the underlying concepts. Make sure to review the properties and rules of each method and attempt a variety of equations to become familiar with the different types and how to approach them. Asking for help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in understanding and improving your skills.