Aluminium has no negatively charged particles?

In summary, a graduate student may take a long time to get their Ph.D if they have observed a Schottky defect in a sample of pure aluminium because the material does not have any negatively charged particles, making it difficult to observe the Schottky effect. This is due to the fact that aluminium does not have many free electrons available, which is necessary for the Schottky effect to occur.
FoundAlaska
Q: "A graduate student tells you that he has observed a Schottky defect in a sample of pure aluminium. Explain why it may take a long time for this graduate student to get his Ph.D"

A: "Pure aluminium has no negatively charged particles, so a Schottky effect can not occur."

So I know a Schottky effect is when both an anion (-) and a cation (+) dissappear together out of a material (both because it has to remain neutral). What I don't understand is why aluminium does not have negatively charged particles. It does have electrons so no I'm just not following here.. Can anyone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
FoundAlaska said:
Q: "A graduate student tells you that he has observed a Schottky defect in a sample of pure aluminium. Explain why it may take a long time for this graduate student to get his Ph.D"

A: "Pure aluminium has no negatively charged particles, so a Schottky effect can not occur."

So I know a Schottky effect is when both an anion (-) and a cation (+) dissappear together out of a material (both because it has to remain neutral). What I don't understand is why aluminium does not have negatively charged particles. It does have electrons so no I'm just not following here.. Can anyone explain this to me?
Schottky defect or Schottky effect?
Based on your question, probably the defect.

Where do you expect anions or cations in a sample of pure Al, where all atoms are the same?

Aluminium has electrons, of course, but does it have many free electrons moving around?
Hint: What do you see as hall effect?

1. What is the significance of aluminium having no negatively charged particles?

The fact that aluminium has no negatively charged particles means that it is a neutral element, with an equal number of protons and electrons. This is important because it makes aluminium a highly reactive metal, meaning it readily forms chemical bonds with other elements.

2. How does aluminium's lack of negatively charged particles affect its properties?

The absence of negatively charged particles in aluminium allows it to have a very high strength-to-weight ratio, making it a desirable material for use in various industries such as construction, transportation, and packaging. It also has a low melting point and good electrical conductivity.

3. Can aluminium ever have negatively charged particles?

Technically, yes. Aluminium can gain or lose electrons in a chemical reaction, resulting in the formation of ions that have either a positive or negative charge. However, in its pure form, aluminium has no net charge and therefore no negatively charged particles.

4. Why do some people believe that aluminium has negatively charged particles?

Some misconceptions may arise from the fact that aluminium is commonly used in the form of compounds, such as aluminium oxide or aluminium hydroxide, which do have negatively charged particles. However, these compounds are made up of aluminium atoms that have gained or lost electrons, not the pure element itself.

5. Are there any other elements that have no negatively charged particles?

Yes, all elements in their pure form have an equal number of protons and electrons, resulting in a neutral charge. However, some elements may have a slightly positive or negative charge due to differences in the number of protons and electrons in their atoms. Examples include hydrogen, which has one proton and one electron, and neon, which has 10 protons and 10 electrons.