High symmetry points and lines in Brillioun Zone

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Brillouin zones and their physical significance in solid state physics. One participant recommends studying group theory and provides a book recommendation, while another suggests using a script for better understanding. The conversation also touches upon the required mathematical background and the relevance of point groups in relation to Brillouin zones.
Log
Hi,

I've seen pictures like this one: http://www.lcst-cn.org/Solid%20State%20Physics/Ch25.files/image002.gif
Is there any good explanation somewhere on this subject?

I'm using Kittel's book but there's nothing in there on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Log said:
Is there any good explanation somewhere on this subject?

I'm using Kittel's book but there's nothing in there on this.

What explanation exactly do you need? An explanation on what a Brillouin zone is?

Zz.

I know that a Brillioun Zone is a Wigner Seitz cell in k-space, but what are the symmetry points and lines?

How are these used and what physical significance do they have?

How are they chosen?

I've read the first 6 chapters in Kittel. I don't think we're required to know this in the course I'm taking, just asking out of curiosity. :)

Last edited:
You need to study a little group theory as it applies to crystallographic symmetries. It is surprisingly easy to understand. I leaned it from the book by Micheal Tinkham "Group Theory in Quantum Mechanics". Basically, the geometric structure of the Wigner Seitz cell is subsumed to an irreducible representation of the geometry by the symmetry group operators of rotation, reflection, and inversion.

This technique is fundamental to the interpretation of almost all solid state spectroscopic experiments (i.e. x-ray diffraction, EPR etc).

Last edited:
I have been thinking about buying that book actually, it seems quite interesting. How much mathematics and QM is required to understand it?

I have Ashcroft as well. There's a section on point groups and such but the notation is different, is this the same thing as high symmetry points? I didn't bother reading it yet as the subject seemed to be different. I bought the book as a supplement but haven't been using it that much.

My understanding is only basic so far. I know some basic QM and I'm studying Kittel.

The first four chapters or so of Tinkham are related to crystallographic symmetry groups. The math is not hard at all. If you can do the problems in Kittel, you can work through Tinkham. I suggest you read the first few chapters and try to work the problems. The time spent studying group theory will be enormously beneficial to your understanding of solid state physics.

Look at the point group of the crystal.

Then pick a point within the BZ, e.g. one of the special points (Gamma, X, L, K, U, W) or along one of the special lines (Sigma, Lambda, Delta), or any other point.

Then figure out which of the symmetry operations of the point group project that point onto itself (or itself+reciprocal lattice vector).

What do you get?

What is the Brillouin Zone?

The Brillouin Zone is a concept in solid state physics that represents the set of all possible wave vectors for a periodic crystal lattice. It is used to study the electronic and vibrational properties of materials.

What are high symmetry points and lines in the Brillouin Zone?

High symmetry points and lines are specific locations within the Brillouin Zone that possess a higher degree of symmetry compared to other points. They are often used as reference points for studying the properties of the crystal lattice.

How are high symmetry points and lines useful in studying materials?

High symmetry points and lines allow scientists to simplify the analysis of the electronic and vibrational properties of materials. They can be used to determine the energy bands of electrons and phonons, as well as the symmetry properties of the crystal lattice.

What techniques are used to locate high symmetry points and lines in the Brillouin Zone?

There are a few different techniques that can be used to locate high symmetry points and lines in the Brillouin Zone, including X-ray diffraction, electron diffraction, and neutron diffraction. These techniques rely on the scattering of particles to determine the positions of the high symmetry points and lines.

Can high symmetry points and lines change in different crystal structures?

Yes, the positions of high symmetry points and lines can vary depending on the crystal structure of a material. Different crystal structures have different lattice symmetries, which can result in different high symmetry points and lines in the Brillouin Zone.