Is Infinite Work Possible in a Frictionless Vacuum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done and clarifies that it cannot be infinite in a real-life situation. The work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy and can be calculated using the formula W= force x displacement. It is also mentioned that the force must be applied over a distance for work to be done.
suchal
Work done= force.displacement
In space, with no external forces, air drag, gravity etc if you apply a force to object if will move forever in the direction of force unless any resultant force act on it to change its momentum.
In this case let's take force as 2N so we get
w.d=2N.s
s will increase forever so w.d is infinite?
I know i am wrong so please help me get the concept right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The "s" in the formula is the distance ovet which the force acts, not the distance that the object will travel /after/ the force has been applied.

CompuChip said:
Hi,

The "s" in the formula is the distance ovet which the force acts, not the distance that the object will travel /after/ the force has been applied.

Sorry but i still don't get it. You mean as distance which the object travels while being accelerated by force?

The mathematical definition is [tex]W=\int \mathbf{f}\cdot \mathbf{v}\;dt[/tex] So for all of the time that f=0 you have W=0 even though v≠0.

What Dale said :-)

To give a numerical example, suppose that I push a block at a constant force of F = 10 N. Initially the block is at rest, and after 2 seconds I stop pushing. The total work on the block is ##W = (10~\mathrm N) \cdot (2~\mathrm s) = 20~\mathrm J##. After this there will be no force, so the additional amount of work on the block over any distance s is ##W = 0 \cdot s = 0##. The block will continue moving at its final speed (which follows from ##20~\mathrm{J} = \tfrac12 m v_\mathrm{final}^2## where m is the mass of the block).

suchal said:
Work done= force.displacement
In space, with no external forces, air drag, gravity etc if you apply a force to object if will move forever in the direction of force unless any resultant force act on it to change its momentum.
In this case let's take force as 2N so we get
w.d=2N.s
s will increase forever so w.d is infinite?
I know i am wrong so please help me get the concept right.

The answer to any question about a real situation is never "infinity". If you are applying the Force all the time then the work done will 'tend to' infinity. But you don't have long enough (or enough energy) to do the experiment for "for ever".
Along with Voltage Sources and Short circuits, the original model needs qualification if you want a proper answer from any question about it.

CompuChip said:

To give a numerical example, suppose that I push a block at a constant force of F = 10 N. Initially the block is at rest, and after 2 seconds I stop pushing. The total work on the block is ##W = (10~\mathrm N) \cdot (2~\mathrm s) = 20~\mathrm J##. After this there will be no force, so the additional amount of work on the block over any distance s is ##W = 0 \cdot s = 0##. The block will continue moving at its final speed (which follows from ##20~\mathrm{J} = \tfrac12 m v_\mathrm{final}^2## where m is the mass of the block).

Got it finally. Thank you and dale.

CompuChip said:

A force of 10 Newtons multiplied by a time interval of 2 seconds gives an impulse of 20 Newton-seconds = 20 kg m/s

Assuming this force was applied to a 1 kg mass initially at rest, this would produce an acceleration of 10 meters per second and a total displacement (1/2 a t2) of 20 meters during those two seconds. Multiply 10 Newtons by 20 meters and that is 200 Joules of work done.

The final velocity of the 1 kg mass after 2 seconds of acceleration would be 20 meters per second. This is a kinetic energy of 1/2 m v2 = 200 Joules. Work done = energy gained.

Work-energy theorem:

The work done on a macroscopic system is equal to its change in kinetic energy. Infinite work would require an infinite change in kinetic energy and thus an infinite kinetic energy, which means either an infinite mass or an infinite velocity.

Both possibilities are non-physical, so the answer is no. Work done cannot be infinite.

1. Can work done be infinite?

Yes, work done can theoretically be infinite. Work done is the product of force and displacement, and both force and displacement can be infinite. However, in reality, it is not possible to have an infinite amount of force or displacement, so work done is limited.

2. What is the concept of infinite work done?

Infinite work done refers to the idea that work done can have no limit or bound. It means that the amount of work done can continue to increase without end. This concept is often used in theoretical physics and mathematics.

3. How is infinite work done possible?

Infinite work done is possible in theory but not in reality. As mentioned earlier, it requires an infinite amount of force or displacement, which is not feasible in the physical world. It is often used in theoretical scenarios to explore the limits of our understanding and to make predictions.

4. What are the implications of infinite work done?

The implications of infinite work done are far-reaching, especially in the field of theoretical physics. It can lead to the development of new theories and ideas, as well as help us better understand the universe and its laws. However, it is important to remember that these are only theoretical concepts and may not have practical applications.

5. Is infinite work done possible in the real world?

No, infinite work done is not possible in the real world. While it is a theoretical concept that can help us understand the limits of our understanding, it cannot be achieved in reality. The laws of physics and the physical limitations of our world prevent infinite work done from being possible.