Electrochemical reduction of Hydrogen forms hydride?

In summary, based on the information provided, it appears that the reduction of H2 will form Hydride anions of H- which are predicted to have a similar effect on reducing organic compounds as various metal hydrides. However, unless the solvent is soluble in the electrolyte, further reactions will only occur on the electrode surface.
Zensation
Would the electrochemical reduction of H2 form Hydrogen Anions of H-

H2 + 2e- -> 2H-

If this is the case, is the following true?

H- + (1/2)H2 -> H2

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Zensation said:
Would the electrochemical reduction of H2 form Hydrogen Anions of H-

H2 + 2e- -> 2H-

Not sure about the "electrochemical" part (I feel like you will have problems finding a solvent), but in general to get hydrides (especially ionic ones) you need to reduce hydrogen, so the reaction looks correct.

If this is the case, is the following true?

H- + (1/2)H2 -> H2

If it is intended as a full reaction, you won't be able to balance it. If it is intended as a half reaction, it is not different from the previous one.

Thank you. Electrochemistry is an underexplored field in my opinion with a lot of potential. Can I ask why you said there will be a problem finding a solvent? I was thinking both a H2O solution or an alcohol solution could would as long as the electrolyte is largely dissolvable and nonreactive. Based on your expertise, would you say that these Hydride anions formed via the reduction of H2 would have a similar effect on reducing organic compounds as various metal hydrides? Theoretically they should react just the same. In metal hydrides the hydride ion breaks off and reacts with the organic molecule to reduce and hydrogenate it, leaving the metal part floating in the solution, so ideally a lone hydride ion should react with the organic molecule in the same fashion, yet, with no metal byproducts.

Last edited:
You will reduce the solvent before you will be able to reduce the hydrogen.

Is this so?

I remember reading that the electrical requirement to reduce H-H is not much higher than the electrical requirement to reduce a number of compounds that are very commonly reduced electrochemically, such as the bond between N-O2 bonds.

I did come across this study, in the abstract, the claim the oxidation of hydrogen only occurs when hydrogen adheres to the surface of the cathode. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-84800-936-3_3#page-1 . Though, they are speaking in terms of using a catalyst. Perhaps a catalyst would be required for the reaction to occur.

Zensation said:
Is this so?

I remember reading that the electrical requirement to reduce H-H is not much higher than the electrical requirement to reduce a number of compounds that are very commonly reduced electrochemically, such as the bond between N-O2 bonds.

So far you listed ethanol and water. As a rule of thumb - if something eagerly reacts with the hydride, it will react on the electrode before hydrogen gets reduced. That's redox potentials, GenChem101.

In some cases that's not exactly true, as sometimes reactions require huge overpotentials due to being kinetically hampered.

But, assuming your hydride gets produced on the electrode, to be able to react in the bulk of the solution it needs to be soluble. That means polar solvent, and these are rarely electrochemically inert.

I did come across this study, in the abstract, the claim the oxidation of hydrogen only occurs when hydrogen adheres to the surface of the cathode.

Hardly surprising, that's what happens in all electrochemical experiments - reaction takes place only on the electrode surface. Further reactions can take place in the bulk, but the only place the original reaction can go is the electrode, electrons don't freely float in the solution (with some remarkable exceptions).

1. What is electrochemical reduction?

Electrochemical reduction is a process in which an electrical current is used to drive a chemical reaction, resulting in the reduction (gain of electrons) of a substance.

2. How does electrochemical reduction of hydrogen form hydride?

In the electrochemical reduction of hydrogen, a cathode (negative electrode) is used to attract hydrogen ions from an electrolyte solution. These hydrogen ions then gain electrons from the cathode, forming hydrogen atoms. These atoms then combine with each other to form hydride ions (H-).

3. What are the applications of electrochemical reduction of hydrogen to form hydride?

The electrochemical reduction of hydrogen to form hydride has various applications, including hydrogen storage, purification of hydrogen gas, and production of metal hydrides for use in batteries and fuel cells.

4. How is the rate of electrochemical reduction of hydrogen controlled?

The rate of electrochemical reduction of hydrogen is controlled by adjusting the applied electrical current and the surface area of the cathode. Increasing the current or the surface area can increase the rate of reduction.

5. What are the advantages of using electrochemical reduction of hydrogen to form hydride?

Some advantages of using electrochemical reduction of hydrogen include its efficiency, selectivity, and scalability. It also does not require the use of harsh chemicals and can be carried out at room temperature and pressure.