Good Eating Places: Find Quality Food at Reasonable Prices

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker enjoyed the Scotch tastings and found Glenmorangie's The Woods to be the best scotch. They also mentioned that some of their favorite places to eat in New York City are Park East Grill and The Bone Yard.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do you have a favorite place? I find it difficult to find a place with reasonable
prices and quality food, it seems the norm these days to pile up your plate with
taste less junk.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feu Frog in Kansas City is pretty good. :biggrin:

For those who just happen to be in NY City around April try the Park East Grill.

This past April's Single Malt Scotch Tasting Dinners

Mackillop's Choice
Scotch Tasting Dinner

led by world renowned scotch enthusiast
Lorne Mackillop of Mackillop's Choice

(He introduced each scotch and gave an overview of how scotches are made, the different regions of Scotland, as well as how the scotches chosen paired well with the food)

Tuesday March 15, 2005
Two seatings at 6:00 & 8:30 p.m.

ARRIVAL DRINK: GLENCADAM 15 Year Old (NEW)

Canapés
Carpaccio of duck with fig jam and endive
Wild Mushroom Blintzes
Marinated Hanger on croustini with horseradish mayo
Chicken Satay
MACKILLOP'S CHOICE - Glen Albyn , October 1975

Appetizer
Pastrami cured salmon, rye blini, whole grain mustard
MACKILLOP'S CHOICE - Highland Park, April 1980

Entree
Grilled bison rib eye, scalloped potatoes,
porcini mushrooms, shallot and red wine sauce
MACKILLOP'S CHOICE - MacDuff, March 1972

Dessert
Vanilla and chocolate praline bombe
MACKILLOP'S CHOICE - Glen Grant, November 1967
$85 per person plus tax and gratuity.

================================================

Glenmorangie "The Woods"
Scotch Tasting Dinner

led by world renowned scotch enthusiast Karen Fullerton of Glenmorangie & Ardbeg. Each Course had a 2-3 minute introduction, during which there was a discussion about the scotch to be served and why it was paired with the particular course. There was also a general overview of Glenmorangie's wood management program and production processes

Monday April 4, 2005

Canapés
Marinated hanger w/ Asian slaw on taro
Wild mushroom blintzes
Chicken satay
Crispy duck spring rolls w/ plum dipping sauce

Glenmorangie Champagne Cocktail
(1/5 whisky/, 4/5 Champagne, Honey, Sugar, Mint)

Appetizer
Pistachio crusted duck with frisse salad,
cider vinaigrette and pomegranate reduction

Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish

Entree
Veal stuffed filet, porcini mushrroms, spinach and garlic mash

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish

Dessert
Chocolate decadence, vanilla custard, fresh berries

Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood Finish

$85 per person, $150 per person for both dinners, plus tax and gratuity.

================================================

Glenmorangie "Over The Years"
Scotch Tasting Dinner

Monday April 12, 2005

Canapés
Salt beef on crispy potato with arugula pesto
Tenderloin of beef on croustini with horseradish
Olive, spinach and sun dried tomato palmier
Petite smoked white fish cake, avocado remoulade, pico de gallo

Glenmorangie 10 yo

Appetizer
Pastrami cured salmon, rye blini, whole grain mustard

Ardbeg Uigeadail- (NOT AVAILABLE IN U.S.A. UNTIL MID-JUNE 2005)

Entrée
Slow cooked bison short ribs, root vegetable gratin, bitter greens

Glenmorangie 15 yo

Dessert
Chocolate praline mousse

Glenmorangie 18 yo

$85 per person, $150 per person for both dinners, plus tax and gratuity.

Last edited:
The Bone Yard, steaks and BBQ{southern style}, with 100 different kinds of ale to wash it all down with. A really cozy seating area, the big fire place will be burning all the time now. One the weekends local 3 piece bands play, its always fun.
A more then you can eat dinner with a drink, is about 8.00 dollars{US}, I've never had a bad meal there.

two scotches and I'm bumping into door frames going to any of Astronuc's choices and I'm singing Danny Boy in the nude to a fur coat.

tribdog said:
two scotches and I'm bumping into door frames going to any of Astronuc's choices and I'm singing Danny Boy in the nude to a fur coat.
Hands tribdog a couple of scotches. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Hands tribdog a couple of scotches. :biggrin:
for the singing, the nudeness or the fur coat?

Nobu in Tribeca is a great place. I've been to other really good places in New York and Los Angeles/Pasadena, but can't remember their names. An honorable mention has to go to this sports bar in Boston that offered over 600 different beers, including the terrific North Coast Rasputin Stout (my personal favorite beer), but I can't remember the name of this place, either.

If you guys are ever on 2nd St in Long Beach, be sure to check out Shannon's Bayshore. It's named after our member Swerve.

A big grin for anyone that can give me the recipe for Jack Daniel's steak
marinade/ dip in sauce. i had it at, T J fridays restruant .:!)

loseyourname said:
Nobu in Tribeca is a great place.
My hubbys in the fortunate position of having had too much Nobu (London) and its offshoots work dinners of late, so he was thrilled to be going to Dallas and hoping to have a big steak there-turns out they've just opened the Dallas Nobu and that's where he was taken!
Personally, I like cafes in parks. The Orangery in Kensington Palace being the ultimate! The one in St James' Park is nice too.

What is considered a "good" eating place?

A good eating place is one that offers quality food at reasonable prices. This means that the food is fresh, well-prepared, and tasty, while also being affordable for the average person.

How do I find quality food at reasonable prices?

There are a few ways to find good eating places that offer quality food at reasonable prices. You can ask for recommendations from friends or family, read reviews online, or use an app or website that specializes in restaurant recommendations.

What should I look for when choosing a good eating place?

When choosing a good eating place, you should consider the overall quality of the food, the variety of options on the menu, the cleanliness of the restaurant, and the prices. It's also helpful to look at reviews and ratings from previous customers.

How can I save money while eating at a good eating place?

There are a few ways to save money while eating at a good eating place. You can look for specials or discounts, share a meal with a friend, or choose items from the menu that are more affordable. You can also avoid ordering drinks or desserts, as these can often add up quickly.

What are some red flags to look out for when trying to find a good eating place?

Some red flags to look out for when trying to find a good eating place include poor cleanliness, consistently bad reviews, and overly high prices. It's also important to be cautious of restaurants with limited or outdated menus, as this could indicate that the food may not be fresh or of high quality.