Understanding the Mathematics Behind the Center of Gravity Problem

In summary, the center of mass is a place where the weight of all the objects is concentrated. When an object is balanced at its center of mass, there is no torque.
unctarheels1
I am trying to understand the math for this problem. My instructor did a poor job of explaining it in class.

He took a "skyhook" or belt hanger ( looks like a music note make out of wood)" put a stiff belt on it and balanced it on the edge of a table. He exaplained that the center of gravity of the belt (which was at an angle and leaning under the table) was directly under the base of the belt hanger and that made it balance.

There has to be a mathematical answer to this. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass is a kind of average position of the mass. In many cases, it is useful to consider the body to be concentrated at the center of mass. Mathematically, the position of the center of mass is

[tex] \frac{\sum{m_{i}}{r_{i}}}{M} [/tex]

[tex]m_{i}[/tex] is the mass of the ith particle and [tex]r_{i}[/tex] is its corresponding position.

here is a link to a picture of the problem I am describing.

http://www.uvm.edu/~dahammon/demonstrations/balancingbelt.html

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a link to a picture of the problem I am describing.

http://www.uvm.edu/~dahammon/demonstrations/balancingbelt.html

If I could get a correct Free body diagram for it, I think I would understand it.

- You should have a force acting upward from the table to the tip of the "belt hanger" and then the belt puts a force on the hanger as well. I suppose it would act at the angle the belt is hanging. Am I missing anything else other than the gravity, which would act on the entire wooden piece?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you balance something at its center of mass or directly under or over its center of mass, there is no torque. Thats why it doesn't turn. As for the mathematics of it, let's see what information we can get from the situation. We need an expression for the torque. Let's take the horizontal axis as the x axis. the torque would be

[tex] \tau = \sum{m_{i}}g{x_{i}} = g\sum{m_{i}}{x_{i}} [/tex]

Where the [tex]x_{i}[/tex]s are the distances from the fulcrum.
But [tex] \sum{m_{i}}{x_{i}} [/tex] is the total mass [tex]M[/tex] times the position of the center of mass. Since in our case, the position of the center of mass is 0, i.e it is at a distance [tex]x = 0[/tex] from the fulcrum, the torque must be zero.

What is the Center of Gravity Problem?

The Center of Gravity Problem is a physics problem that involves finding the point at which an object's weight is evenly balanced, or the point where the object would balance if it were placed on a fulcrum. It is also known as the Center of Mass Problem.

Why is the Center of Gravity Important?

The Center of Gravity is important because it is the point at which an object's weight is evenly distributed. This helps determine an object's stability and how it will move or behave in different situations. It is also used in designing structures and vehicles to ensure they are balanced.

How is the Center of Gravity Calculated?

The Center of Gravity can be calculated by finding the weighted average of an object's individual weights and positions. This is typically done using mathematical equations that take into account the mass, shape, and distribution of an object's weight.

What Factors Affect the Center of Gravity?

The Center of Gravity can be affected by several factors including the mass and distribution of an object's weight, the shape and orientation of the object, and external forces acting on the object. For example, adding or removing weight, changing the shape of an object, or tilting it can all affect its center of gravity.

Why is the Center of Gravity Different for Different Objects?

The Center of Gravity is different for different objects because it is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of weight. Objects with a larger mass or a different shape will have a different center of gravity than smaller or differently shaped objects. Additionally, external forces acting on an object can also affect its center of gravity.