How can I fix these bugs in my thread?

• Thread starter mbeychok
  • Start date
In summary: (2) After I composed the thread, it had a number of paragraphs. I clicked on Preview to see how the thread looked. But when I left the preview, and went back to make some changes in the compose box, the spacing for new paragraphs had been removed ... and I had to add all the spacings back on. I did this two or three times (previewed the message and then went back to the compose box) ... and each time the paragraph spacing was removed and I had to replace the spacings. That really makes it a pain in the neck to use the preview function. This bug should be corrected.A bug that crops up with posts after they've been posted for
mbeychok
(1) I just posted a new thread in the Materials & Chemical Engineering forum. Then I noticed that I had named the thread incorrectly. So I used the Go Advanced editing function and changed the title of the thread. When I now open my thread it has the new, correct title. But the old, incorrect title still shows in the forum's thread list. When the title is edited and changed, the new revised title should show up in the forum's list of threads.

(2) After I composed the thread, it had a number of paragraphs. I clicked on Preview to see how the thread looked. But when I left the preview, and went back to make some changes in the compose box, the spacing for new paragraphs had been removed ... and I had to add all the spacings back on. I did this two or three times (previewed the message and then went back to the compose box) ... and each time the paragraph spacing was removed and I had to replace the spacings. That really makes it a pain in the neck to use the preview function. This bug should be corrected.

Milton Beychok

Physics news on Phys.org
#2 is one that we're already aware of, and is on Greg's to-do list. It is a problem that arrived with the upgrade (not the new skin, but the upgrade done a month or so ago). I'm not sure how easy it will be to fix.

As for changing the title, I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. You can send a PM to any of the mentors with a link to the thread and the correct title, and we can change the thread title for you if you can't edit it yourself (or so I've been told...I haven't tried it yet...pick me! pick me! :biggrin:). This generally applies to anything you're having a problem editing in a post as a way to get it fixed.

mbeychok said:
(1) I just posted a new thread in the Materials & Chemical Engineering forum. Then I noticed that I had named the thread incorrectly. So I used the Go Advanced editing function and changed the title of the thread. When I now open my thread it has the new, correct title. But the old, incorrect title still shows in the forum's thread list. When the title is edited and changed, the new revised title should show up in the forum's list of threads.

Titles aren't allowed to be altered after 4 minutes of being posted, but you can change the internal title which is likely what confused you.

1. What are some common signs that indicate a bug needs fixing?

Some common signs that indicate a bug needs fixing include crashes, freezes, error messages, unexpected behavior, and incorrect output or results.

2. How can I prevent bugs from occurring in my code?

To prevent bugs, it is important to follow best coding practices such as writing clean and organized code, testing thoroughly, and using version control. It is also helpful to have a peer review process in place and to continuously update and maintain your code.

3. What should I do if I encounter a bug in my code?

If you encounter a bug in your code, the first step is to try to reproduce the bug and identify the source of the issue. Then, make sure to document the bug and any steps you took to reproduce it. Finally, work on fixing the bug and testing your solution before implementing it in your code.

4. How can I efficiently debug my code?

To efficiently debug your code, it is important to use debugging tools and techniques such as breakpoints, logging, and stepping through your code line by line. It can also be helpful to take breaks and approach the problem from different angles to gain new insights.

5. What are some strategies for effectively communicating bugs to other team members?

When communicating bugs to other team members, it is important to provide clear and detailed information about the bug, including steps to reproduce it and any relevant code snippets. It can also be helpful to use screenshots or videos to demonstrate the bug. Additionally, make sure to communicate in a professional and respectful manner and be open to feedback and collaboration in finding a solution.