What is the Spectral Radius of the Gauss-Seidel Method for this Matrix?

Tg formed from Gauss Seidel method has a spectral radius of 2, which means that 2 is the maximum of the eigenvalues. However, the previous eigenvalues calculated were all zero, leading to confusion. Upon further examination, it was discovered that the calculation of the eigenvalues was incorrect and that there are eigenvalues with a value of 2. In summary, the spectral radius for the matrix Tg formed from Gauss Seidel method is 2, as determined by Carl.
stunner5000pt
given this matrix
[tex] x_{1} + 2 x_{2} - 2x_{3} =7 [/tex]
[tex] x_{1} + x_{2} + x_{3} =2 [/tex]
[tex] 2x_{1} + 2x_{2} + x_{3} =5 [/tex]

Show taht [itex] \rho(T_{g}) = 2 [/itex] where rho represenets the spectral radius for this matrix
Tg represents the matrix formed from teh Gauss Seidel method

i found Tg to be like this
[tex] \left(\begin{array}{c|ccc}0&-2&-2&7\\-1&0&-1&2\\-2&-2&0&5\end{array}\right) [/tex]

the Matrix Tg in question is
[tex] \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&-2&-2\\-1&0&-1\\-2&-2&0\end{array}\right) [/tex]

spectral radius is the maximum of the eigenvalues. But for this matrix the eigenvalues i obtained were all zero. (Am i wrong here, do you wnat me to show the working?)
So how can the spectral radius be 2??

Please help! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of the eigenvalues is in error (at least). For example, (1,0,-1) has eigenvalue of 2.

Carl

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and understand the properties of geometric objects such as lines, planes, and higher-dimensional spaces.

2. What are the basic operations in linear algebra?

The basic operations in linear algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of vectors and matrices. These operations are used to manipulate and solve equations involving vectors and matrices.

3. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is used to model and analyze systems, make predictions, and solve optimization problems.

4. What are some common concepts in linear algebra?

Some common concepts in linear algebra include vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and matrix operations. These concepts are fundamental to understanding and solving problems in linear algebra.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the key concepts and operations. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to clarify any difficult concepts or problems you encounter.