Double major in computer and electrical engineering

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether or not the individual should double major in computer engineering and electrical engineering. They are wondering about the importance of this double major in terms of job opportunities and graduate school applications, as well as the difficulty and worth of potentially taking an extra year to complete both majors. The expert suggests that while it may be difficult to double major, it is possible to fill in electives with courses from the other major. They also advise that the individual should focus on studying what they are interested in rather than what they think will look good on their resume.
sweetvirgogirl
I'm majoring in computer engineering ...
so I was wondering if I should double major by majoring in electrical engineering as well?

I think what I'm trying to ask is ...
1) What's the importance of this particular double major in terms of jobs?
2)How does it look on grad school applications?
3)Easy/Hard? If it happens to take another year, meaning 5 years in total ... is it worth it?

I'm just really confused what I should do ...
if I really want to be a computer engineer, does it mean I do not need to double major?

Just tell me whatever you know about double major in comp engr and elec engr
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I also want to know what would look better on my grad school application and my resume ...
1) minor in physics and major in comp engr
OR
2) double major in computer engr and elec engr

Well, it depends on your University. At my school, there is a good amount of difference between Computer and Electrical engineering after the first 2 years. It would be VERY hard to double major.

However, it is certainly possible to fill in all of your electives with Computer engineering courses as an EE major, or vice versa.

If you really want to be a Computer engineer, you do not need to double major. Just major in Computer engineering and fill in your electives with EE courses you are interested in. Or just take more Computer engineering electives. You should not be studying stuff you are not interested in just because you think it will look better on your resume.

I suggest you post the four year course schedule for each major so we can help you better.

1. What is a double major in computer and electrical engineering?

A double major in computer and electrical engineering is a program of study in which students complete the requirements for both a computer engineering major and an electrical engineering major. This allows students to gain a broad understanding of both fields and develop skills in both hardware and software design.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in computer and electrical engineering?

The main benefit of pursuing a double major in computer and electrical engineering is the broad range of knowledge and skills that students gain. This can make them more competitive in the job market and provide them with a diverse set of career options in industries such as technology, telecommunications, and manufacturing.

3. Is it difficult to double major in computer and electrical engineering?

Double majoring in computer and electrical engineering can be challenging, as it requires students to complete a significant amount of coursework in two different fields. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is achievable.

4. Can I specialize in a particular area within computer and electrical engineering with a double major?

Yes, students can specialize in a particular area within computer and electrical engineering by choosing specific electives and focusing their research or capstone projects on a specific topic of interest.

5. How long does it take to complete a double major in computer and electrical engineering?

The time it takes to complete a double major in computer and electrical engineering varies depending on the individual's course load and academic progress. On average, it can take 4-5 years to complete both majors.