For Democrats: Who would you love to see as president?

• News
  • Thread starter ComputerGeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the conversation discusses potential candidates for the presidency and their qualifications. Some suggest Barack Obama due to his intelligence and ability to bring people together, while others suggest Mark Warner or Robert Byrd. However, there is also criticism of Obama's willingness to use military force and the desire for a candidate who is against war. Overall, the conversation highlights the lack of viable alternatives to the current political landscape.
ComputerGeek
After Bush is gone, who do you think would be the best person or a wish list person for president and why?

He already said he is not running in '08, but I say Barak Obama. I think he has the presence, the intelligence, the pragmatism, and the right ideas. He seems to be a guy who can bring together a lot of people and make them see the reasonable path ahead.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if i were american i wouldn't want barack obama as president.

Each month I think I'm going to stop beating up on Kerry and the Democrats because it makes me sad myself to think that there's no honorable and viable alternative to Emperor George or the Republicans. Then I read about the Democrat's rising star, Barack Obama, Senate candidate and almost certain winner in Illinois, keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention. He declared that he would favor the use of missile strikes against Iran if it failed to bow to Washington's demand that it cease its alleged nuclear weapons program. Obama also said that in the event of a coup that removed the Musharraf regime in Pakistan, the US should attack that nation's nuclear arsenal. (Chicago Tribune Sept 25 04) Very nice, Barack. Just what this violence-plagued, tired old world needs, more death and destruction, more Iraqs and Afghanistans, more pre-emptive wars of aggression, more imperial arrogance. Obama is clearly showing that he's presidential material by meeting the first requirement for that office: no inhibitions about killing large numbers of innocent and defenseless foreign people. Oh yes, he said the missile strikes against Iran would be "surgical". Even as I write this, the cemeteries of Fallujah are filling up with cases of surgical malpractice.
-- Bill Blum, Anti-Empire Report Oct 24 2004

Meh, by 2008 I might be a Democrat. :rolleyes:

I think Mark Warner would be the best Democratic candidate. He's an (ex)-governor and governors have a natural advantage over Senators. Not only is he a governor, he was easily one of the top five governors in the US, if not the best.

He'll never leave the Senate and I doubt he'd even want to be president, but I'd love to see Robert Byrd give it a shot. He's been my favorite democrat in any branch of the government for a very long time.

fourier jr said:
if i were american i wouldn't want barack obama as president.
Each month I think I'm going to stop beating up on Kerry and the Democrats because it makes me sad myself to think that there's no honorable and viable alternative to Emperor George or the Republicans. Then I read about the Democrat's rising star, Barack Obama, Senate candidate and almost certain winner in Illinois, keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention. He declared that he would favor the use of missile strikes against Iran if it failed to bow to Washington's demand that it cease its alleged nuclear weapons program. Obama also said that in the event of a coup that removed the Musharraf regime in Pakistan, the US should attack that nation's nuclear arsenal. (Chicago Tribune Sept 25 04) Very nice, Barack. Just what this violence-plagued, tired old world needs, more death and destruction, more Iraqs and Afghanistans, more pre-emptive wars of aggression, more imperial arrogance. Obama is clearly showing that he's presidential material by meeting the first requirement for that office: no inhibitions about killing large numbers of innocent and defenseless foreign people. Oh yes, he said the missile strikes against Iran would be "surgical". Even as I write this, the cemeteries of Fallujah are filling up with cases of surgical malpractice.
-- Bill Blum, Anti-Empire Report Oct 24 2004

He actually said that! If he actually means it, I would infinitely prefer him over many modern presidents to date.

1. Who are the top contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination?

The top contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination are currently Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, and Pete Buttigieg.

2. How does the Democratic primary process work?

The Democratic primary process involves a series of state primaries and caucuses where voters select their preferred candidate. Delegates are then awarded to each candidate based on their performance in each state. The candidate with the majority of delegates will become the party's nominee.

3. What qualities should a Democratic presidential candidate possess?

A Democratic presidential candidate should possess strong leadership skills, the ability to unite and inspire people, a clear understanding of important issues and policies, and a track record of working towards progressive values.

4. What role do superdelegates play in the Democratic nomination process?

Superdelegates are party leaders and elected officials who are able to vote for the Democratic nominee at the national convention. They can support any candidate they choose, but their votes are not pledged to a specific candidate like regular delegates.

5. How can I get involved in the Democratic primary process?

There are several ways to get involved in the Democratic primary process, including volunteering for a specific candidate's campaign, attending local events and rallies, and registering to vote in your state's primary or caucus. You can also stay informed by following news and updates from the various candidates and their campaigns.