Split from Spectroscopy Discussion Thread

In summary, using a visible laser to excite vibrations and rotations in molecules will produce an IR and microwave spectrum.
photon79
A laser in visible is used in Raman spectroscopy and the resultant spectrum is in IR and Microwave region(which means molecular vibrations and rotations are excited), what type of interaction is this that induces these levels? ( I cannot think more than..."To be Raman active molecules should posses anisotropic polarizability".)my question is how vibration or rotation can be excited during the scattering? (As the source used is visible, I think some basic understanding is missing from my side)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
THis is all very foreign to me and several semesters away, but...

reading through Pauling's General Chemistry, there is a sketch of a simple spectrocope.

It is simply a network of a telescope positioned towards a prism at an angle respective to a collimator. The objective is to use a light source to shine through the collimator, refract it into the prism to allow the light to be seen by the observer looking through the telescope. It also states that a ruled grating can be substituted for diffraction.

I have a telescope but no prism and collimator. But if I were to buy a collimator, prism, and a ruled grating, what kind of results what I get back using this system, what could I possibly achieve?

Last edited:
Just a note that I've moved these posts from the Spectroscopy Discussion Thread. The original post in that thread seemed to get eaten by the PF Gremlins, and as a result, the discussion drifted off topic. These are questions worthy of their own thread.

photon79 said:
A laser in visible is used in Raman spectroscopy and the resultant spectrum is in IR and Microwave region...
Note : This question has been answered in other places, like here. Photon79 is aware of this.

photon79 said:
Now its much clear to me.
My question was "How can we absrove rotations and/or vibrations in Raman spectra where we use visible source?"
Here what happens is molecule is excited to a virtual state (as Gokul said)say 20,000 Cm-1 which is in visible and scattered at lower vibrational say, 19,000 Cm-1 which is also in visible , what we measure in Raman spectra is difference in these levels 1,000 Cm-1 which is in IR. This is the basis and we get spectral lines in visible but we take the difference which will be in Microwave or IR.

More info and any currections are appriciated.

So [Moonbear], you could probably delete the OP here and leave the thread with plastic photon's question. <and then delete this post too>

1. What is the purpose of splitting from the Spectroscopy Discussion Thread?

The purpose of splitting from the Spectroscopy Discussion Thread is to create a separate and focused discussion on a specific topic related to spectroscopy. This allows for more organized and in-depth discussions on a particular subject, without getting lost in the larger thread.

2. How is the topic for the split thread chosen?

The topic for the split thread is usually chosen based on the level of interest and relevance to the broader discussion on spectroscopy. It could be a subtopic that requires more attention or a new research finding that sparks further discussion.

3. Can anyone start a split thread?

Yes, anyone can start a split thread. In fact, it is encouraged for members of the spectroscopy community to initiate discussions on topics they find interesting or important.

4. How can I contribute to the split thread?

You can contribute to the split thread by actively participating in the discussion, sharing your knowledge and insights, asking questions, and providing relevant resources or references. Your contributions help to enrich the discussion and promote a better understanding of the topic.

5. Is there a limit to the number of split threads that can be created?

There is no limit to the number of split threads that can be created. As long as the topic is relevant and sparks meaningful discussions, the community can continue to create split threads. However, it is important to avoid creating too many split threads on the same topic to prevent duplicate discussions.