Classes for BSEE in Microelectronics at UCF

• Thread starter Firestrider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes Ee
In summary, the individual is currently in high school and planning to major in Electrical Engineering (EE) at the University of Central Florida with a concentration in microelectronics. They are interested in designing circuits for motherboards, CPUs, GPUs, and other microelectronic components. However, they are unsure of which specific classes to take to be successful in the workforce. The conversation includes recommendations to consider a Computer Engineering degree or sticking with the BSEE degree for more versatility. It is also suggested to follow the laid out curriculum and take summer courses if necessary to graduate in four years. The microelectronics concentration is discussed and it is clarified that motherboard design and microprocessor design are two different fields.
Firestrider
Right now I'm in high school. I want to major in EE and get my BSEE, but I'm not sure what exact classes/minors/concentrations to take to be successful in the workforce. What I really want to do is design circuits for motherboards, cpus, gpus, and basically any microelectronic on a computer, but I like all the math and physics behind it, too. I'm planning a major to get a BSEE at University of Central Florida with a concentration in microelectronics, but which specific classes would I need?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The vast majority of your curriculum will likely be laid out for you. Probably only in the last year will you really have the choice of any EE electives. I wouldn't worry too much about that decision yet.

If you're really interested designing and building computers, I'd suggest looking into a computer engineering degree. It's similar to an EE degree, but has a few more programming and logic classes.

- Warren

If it's similar to EE, then can I take those extra classes for CE during senior year and get both degrees?

Generally, no. Most schools require you to do quite a few extra units to get a second degree, even if you've technically already completed all your second degree's requirements. You will have to check the specifics at your proposed university; their course catalog or website should have information about their degree requirements.

- Warren

Actually, I would recommend sticking with the BSEE. I am graduating this May (in 2 months) from Penn State University with a BSEE, and from my experience, a BSEE will give you more options and a more flexible degree. I say that mainly because with an EE degree, you have the option of taking electives that are geared towards Computer Engineering and specialize in a certain topic, but at the same time, it's more versatile.

Basically if you have a Computer Engineering degree, a lot of times it would be difficult to get a job where an electrical engineer is required, but if you're an Electrical Engineer, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to get a job as a computer engineer. It's all about versitilaty.

In the past 4 months, I've interviewed with (and gotten job offers from) Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Ingersoll-Rand, GE, etc., and the feel I get from industry is just what I've shared - EE's are more marketable.

I do agree with chroot however in the fact that your curriculum will most likely be laid out for you from Day 1. Follow it. The key to getting out in 4 years: if you get behind in the curriculum, take summer courses.

Just my $0.02. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
The microelectronics concentration takes out senior electives and puts in the classes Device electronics for IC, CMOS analog and Digital IC design, Semiconductor Device modeling & Simulation, and Fabrication of Solid State Devices. Should I stick with the original curriculum and not have a microelectronics concentration? Is motherboard design, and microprocessor design two different worlds? Would this microelectronics concentration only help me with microprocessors?

motherboard design and microprocessor design is two different worlds.
motherboard design is all about putting the pieces together and laying everything out properly.
the layout is a major pita.
microprocessor design is all about putting components in a specific order to make the micro function the best that it can.

1. What is a BSEE degree in Microelectronics?

A BSEE degree in Microelectronics at UCF stands for a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering with a focus on Microelectronics. This degree program combines the principles of electrical engineering with specialized courses in microelectronics, which involves the design, development, and manufacturing of electronic devices and circuits on a small scale.

2. What kind of classes are included in the BSEE degree in Microelectronics at UCF?

The BSEE degree in Microelectronics at UCF includes a variety of classes such as circuit analysis, digital logic design, semiconductor devices, microelectronics fabrication, and integrated circuit design. Students will also take general engineering courses, mathematics, and physics classes to provide a well-rounded education.

3. Is the BSEE degree in Microelectronics at UCF a hands-on program?

Yes, the BSEE degree in Microelectronics at UCF is a hands-on program. Students will have access to state-of-the-art labs and facilities to gain practical experience in designing, building, and testing microelectronic circuits and devices. The program also includes opportunities for internships and research projects to further enhance hands-on learning.

4. What career options are available with a BSEE degree in Microelectronics from UCF?

Graduates with a BSEE degree in Microelectronics from UCF can pursue a variety of career options in industries such as semiconductor manufacturing, telecommunications, consumer electronics, aerospace, and defense. Possible job titles include electronics engineer, design engineer, test engineer, and microelectronics researcher.

5. Can I continue my education after obtaining a BSEE degree in Microelectronics from UCF?

Yes, many students choose to continue their education after obtaining a BSEE degree in Microelectronics from UCF. Some may pursue a Master's or PhD in electrical engineering, while others may opt for a graduate program in a related field such as computer engineering or materials science. This can open up opportunities for more advanced and specialized positions in the microelectronics industry.