Charge and Current in a Wire: Why is the Current Zero at t=2s?

In summary, In this conversation, the person is seeking help with a physics problem involving charge and current in a wire. They have already completed parts A-C of the problem and have a question about why the current is 0A at t=2s. They speculate that it may have to do with the wire's maximum capacity and possibly conductivity/resitivity. The other person explains that the given equation is contrived and not representative of a real-world situation. They also offer a hint to think about what kind of circuit could produce this type of charge flow. The conversation ends with the person thanking both parties for their help and providing an additional clarification about the charge flow in the wire.
twiztidmxcn
hey

i'm doing this problem with charge and current in a wire and am having a bit of difficulty in the final part of the problem.

A total amount of charge (C) that enters a wire is given by Q = 4t - t^2, where t is greater than or equal to zero and in seconds.

A) graph this equation, t interval 0->4
B) Find current expression in terms of time
C) graph this, t interval 0->4
D) explain why I has value at t=2s that is observed.

I've done A-C already. I know that I = dQ/dt, took the derivative and graphed both equations for the given intervals. I know that at t=2s, the current is 0A. My question is, why is this?

I figure that it's due to the fact that at this point in time, the wire has the maximum amount of charge entering it that it can handle and then the current starts flowing the opposite direction. I think it possibly has roots in conductivity/resitivity, though I'm not fully sure.

Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated
thanks
-twiztidmxcn

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's anything too profound in that question, and I think you already have the right understanding. The wire can be connected to any sort of electrical component which we are unfortunately not given. But at t=2, the charge entering the wire has become charge leaving the wire, so you will see the reversal of current.

That function : Q(t) = 4[A] t - 1[A/s] t^2 , is contrived for this question.
There is no interesting physical situation that will provide charge like that
(except for a circuit intentionally designed and constructed to demonstrate it)
You will never see such a function again - it is an exercise.

Hint: What's happening with the Q function at this time?

yea, randomly generated physics problems out of a book tend not to have any real interesting value beyond demonstration of equation usage

anyways, to the both of you who helped, thanks you

-twiztidmxcn

twiztidmxcn said:
yea, randomly generated physics problems out of a book tend not to have any real interesting value beyond demonstration of equation usage

anyways, to the both of you who helped, thanks you

-twiztidmxcn

please let me add this: the equation given in the beginning tells what the current flow for "the circuit" will be versus time.

the problem statement invites your mind to try to figure out what kind of circuit could produce that kind of charge flow.

:) that's irrelevant. the equation specifies the charge flow, and the reason it's zero is "because" that's a solution to the equation at t=2
:)

i think one other trap is the "charge entering the wire" statement. for this kind of problem, the charge, a bit more accurately, is flowing through the wire, according to the given equation. :) wires don't tend to accumulate charge... :) at least, not on their own, i'd say.

you're doing just fine!

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electricity an object possesses. It can be either positive or negative.

2. What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge in a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

3. How is current related to charge?

Current is directly proportional to the amount of charge that flows through a wire. This means that the more charge that passes through a wire, the larger the current will be.

4. How is current affected by the properties of a wire?

The current in a wire is affected by its resistance, length, and cross-sectional area. A wire with higher resistance will have a lower current, while a longer and thinner wire will also have a lower current.

5. What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

DC is current that flows in one direction, while AC is current that alternates between flowing in two directions. Most household appliances use AC, while batteries produce DC.