Finding the Point of Tangency Theoretically

• Thread starter SwAnK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, to find the point at which the tangent to a parabola is parallel to the secant between two given points, you must first find the slope m of the secant. Then, using the derivative of the parabola equation, set m equal to 2ax+b and solve for x. This x value can then be substituted into the parabola equation to find the corresponding y value.
SwAnK
Hey I was given the question:
A (x1,y1) and B (x2,y2) are two points on the parabola y=ax^2+bx+c. At what point is the tangent to the parabola parallel to the secant AB.
Here are the steps I took, I am just wanting to know if I am heading in the right direction.

First I just made the slope of AB = m.
then found the derivative of ax^2+bx+c (2ax+1) and made m=2ax+1.
Then isolated x, which would give an x coordinate of m/2a+1.
Took the x value and subed it into the equation ax^2+bx+c to get a y value.

Is this how you would go about this question?? thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
then found the derivative of ax^2+bx+c (2ax+1) and made m=2ax+1.

Why 2ax + 1, instead of 2ax + b ?

Why 2ax + 1, instead of 2ax + b ?

:smile: ahh, yes good point, i wasn't thinking. Thanx for catching that PPonte!

Nowhere have you related your "x" to the x1 and x2; what you have done, is to parametrize the parabola in terms of the local slope m which, by the way, you haven't done correctly.

To continue along your track:
In general, you'll get for the tangent slope m
[tex]m=2ax+b\to{x}=\frac{m-b}{2a}[/tex]

If you now can find the m that is the slope of the secant between x1 and x2, you are done.

1. What is a point of tangency?

A point of tangency is the point where a line or curve touches a circle or other curved surface, without crossing it. It marks the intersection between the two objects.

2. How do you find the point of tangency theoretically?

The point of tangency can be found by using mathematical equations and principles such as the Pythagorean theorem and the slope of a line. By setting the equations of the line and the curve equal to each other, you can solve for the coordinates of the point of tangency.

3. Why is finding the point of tangency important in science?

Finding the point of tangency allows scientists to understand the relationship between different objects or curves, and to make accurate predictions and calculations. It is also useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.

4. Can the point of tangency be found experimentally?

Yes, the point of tangency can be found experimentally by physically drawing or measuring the objects and their intersection point. However, this may not always be as accurate as finding the point of tangency theoretically.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the point of tangency?

One example is in designing and building roller coasters, where finding the point of tangency between the track and the wheels is crucial for ensuring a smooth ride. It is also used in calculating the trajectory of objects in motion, such as projectiles or planets orbiting around a star.