Do you have Asperger's Syndrome Test

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: PIn summary, this conversation is about a test that measures the extent of autistic traits in adults, called the Autism-Spectrum Quotient or AQ. The average score in the control group was 16.4, with 80% of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scoring 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, and many who score above 32 report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives. Some participants in the conversation scored above 32, while others scored below. There is speculation that famous scientists like Newton and Einstein may have had Asperger's, and the conversation also touches on other mental disorders such as ADD and OCD.
ahh well hey I read an article a while back that I can't find but was on an autism website and the survey was of the professions people with aspergers go into. The professions with the greatest percentage of people with aspergers were mathematics and then physics which are both excellent and worth while professions. :biggrin:

Shame I can't find that website again. Senility must be catching :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Asperger's people have definite above average abilities when it comes to memorization, and, yes, they tend to do above average in Math and Science. In general they tend to acquire an encyclopedic knowledge of any subject they become interested in.

Kurdt said:
Shame I can't find that website again. Senility must be catching :wink:
Stick with me long enough and you'll soon be seeing cougars through your kitchen window and forgetting the names of small countires above 45 degrees N latitude.

zoobyshoe said:
Asperger's people have definite above average abilities when it comes to memorization, and, yes, they tend to do above average in Math and Science. In general they tend to acquire an encyclopedic knowledge of any subject they become interested in.
I thought that was just because of their obsessive behaviour. Anyone who has to memorise facts becomes above average at memorising things because exercising the brain is like exercising a muscle. The more you do the better it becomes. I'd be interested to see any study on that memory thing if you can remember any sources?

For anyone more than casually interested in Asperger's I can't reccomend this book enough:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393318478/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The author, a psychiatrist/violinist who knew Gould well, makes a completely persuasive case for Gould having had Asperger's.

Also, the movie reviewed in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00092UT1E/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Is pretty damned fascinating. Whether anyone buys the Asperger's diagnosis or not, it has to be admitted he was an exceptionally, exceptionally eccentric person.

There are also a few CD's available that have good clips of Glenn Gould playing, being interviewed, and showing the hilarious and clever commercials he scripted and acted in himself for Canadian TV.( He had quite a pronounced whimsical sense of humor.)

Last edited by a moderator:
i scored 25 so i probably don't have it. i guess it's "above average" whatever that means but nothing I'm going to worry about. i doubt that would be sufficient to make my family stop bugging me about having asperger's though. i guess it might look like i have it because even though i notice everything that's going on around me 99% of the time i keep my thoughts to myself. to another person it might look like i don't really notice subtle things about other people's face, behaviour etc. it's probably something i can use to my advantage somehow... :devil: :tongue:

Last edited:
fourier jr said:
i doubt that would be sufficient to make my family stop bugging me about having asperger's though.
I don't get it. If you did have it, what is it they think you're supposed to do about it?

zoobyshoe said:
:rofl: If that's the definition, then I'm a poster child. :biggrin:
Only got 25 on the test. :confused:

NoTime said:
:rofl: If that's the definition, then I'm a poster child. :biggrin:
Only got 25 on the test. :confused:
It's not the definition, no.

Evo said:
Stick with me long enough and you'll soon be seeing cougars through your kitchen window and forgetting the names of small countires above 45 degrees N latitude.
I see a cat in my garden quite often but here in the Uk there are no dangerous animals luckily and I live on 55N so there not much to forget above that. Obviously you always remeber stuf south of where you live.

Thanks for the links Zobby

Unaffected
Result: 9. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.

My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on pointWhat does it mean? Ahh I am ok :) phew

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I don't get it. If you did have it, what is it they think you're supposed to do about it?

i'm not sure. maybe they don't think i can survive living on my own & that i'll get the help i "need" if i look into it more. that's my guess beceuse they've never told me what I'm supposed to do about it if i had it.

Curious3141 said:
And this is why I dislike these dumb amateur tests. I'm introverted and geeky, but I'm pretty sure I'm not autistic in any sense. (What I posted above was just a joke). INTP yes, Asperger's no way.

this is what i noticed when i got my myers-briggs result. i read the report/description & thought i was practically the prototypical INTJ although some parts of the INFJ description "sounded right" though. my family has been trying to tell me in various ways (from condescending/confrontational to "subtle" etc etc) for the last few years that i have aspergers but i read about the symptoms, etc & it just didn't make any sense. just a few months ago i got my myer's-briggs evaluation which sounded far more accurate. whether or not someone's myer-briggs result is a function of any autism-like things or a score on this AG test i don't know. I've looked a bit & found nothing.

The online tests are supposed to be just for fun and certainly can't be used to diagnose anything.

Don't take the results seriously. :smile:

Evo said:
The online tests are supposed to be just for fun and certainly can't be used to diagnose anything.

Don't take the results seriously. :smile:

yeah i know :rolleyes: but after my own family telling me or at least thinking i "need help" for so long i feel much better now.

I actually wonder what percentage of our readership is xNTx on the Myers-Briggs. Though NT's ("rationals") are only 7% of the general population, I bet we top 75% here in our own little world.

- Warren