Flimsy bits of wood and tensioned strings

In summary, flimsy bits of wood and tensioned strings are the essential components of a stringed instrument. The wood provides the body and structure of the instrument, while the strings create the sound when plucked or bowed. The quality and thickness of the wood and strings greatly affect the tone and resonance of the instrument. Proper tensioning of the strings is crucial for achieving the desired sound and ensuring the durability of the instrument. Without these key elements, a stringed instrument would not be able to produce the beautiful music it is known for.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How do they make them so that these exquisite notes come from them, i mean they are flimsy bits of wood and tensioned strings, is there a (science)
behind it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
C.V.Raman had done some work on the theory of musical instruments. I'm not able to locate his papers on the net now. I'll post if I find any. Infact, I was watching a documentary about him on TV yesterday, and something similar was mentioned about the Veena - an Indian stringed musical instrument.

I can't speak of the exquisiteness, but the frequency of each successive note is

[tex]
f(n) = 2^{\frac{n}{12}} f_{0}
[/tex]

Actually that equation is much better suited for other intruments, say a piano. On a violin you can put your fingers anywhere inbetween the notes that have a counterpart on a piano. The equation I gave is bunk, although I'm sure many violinists stick to notes with this traditional frequency scaling.

Hi Woolie;
They're definitely based upon scientific principles, but I don't think that there are any specific formulae or anything involved in the actual construction other than possibly for calculating length and thickness of the strings and where to put the fret. The rest appears to be primarily an artistic/craftsman approach; ie: the selection, shaping and seasoning of the wood. That could probably be engineered if someone were to go to all of the trouble, but the people who make them seem to have a 'feel' for it.

It is the overtones which determine the timbre (quality of a sound) of a note. Some information is located here; http://www.lichthaus-musik.de/e_otongesang.html

~H

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are "flimsy bits of wood and tensioned strings" in relation to science?

"Flimsy bits of wood and tensioned strings" are commonly known as musical instruments, specifically string instruments such as guitars, violins, and cellos. These instruments produce sound by creating vibrations through the tensioned strings when plucked or bowed.

2. How do the properties of wood and strings affect the sound produced by these instruments?

The type of wood used in the construction of an instrument can greatly impact its sound. For example, a guitar made with a solid spruce top will produce a brighter sound compared to one made with a cedar top. Additionally, the thickness and tension of the strings also play a role in the sound produced. Thicker and tighter strings will produce a louder and brighter sound, while thinner and looser strings will produce a softer and warmer sound.

3. Are there any scientific principles involved in the design of these instruments?

Yes, there are several scientific principles involved in the design of string instruments. These include the properties of materials, such as the density and elasticity of wood, as well as principles of acoustics, such as resonance and vibrations. Designers also consider the geometry and placement of the strings and the shape and size of the instrument to optimize its sound quality.

4. How do musicians adjust the tension of the strings to produce different notes?

Musicians adjust the tension of the strings by tightening or loosening the tuning pegs or keys located at the top of the instrument. This changes the length and thickness of the vibrating portion of the string, thereby altering the frequency and pitch of the sound produced.

5. Can the tension of the strings affect the longevity of the instrument?

Yes, the tension of the strings can affect the longevity of the instrument. Over time, the constant tension and vibration of the strings can cause the wood to warp or crack. It is important for musicians to properly care for and maintain their instruments to prevent damage and ensure their longevity.