Barium Hydroxide: Use & Benefits for Titrations

• Thread starter meawinner
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of barium hydroxide as an alternative to limewater for detecting small amounts of CO2 and its advantages over sodium hydroxide in titrations. It is explained that BaOH reacts with CO2 to form a salt and water, effectively removing CO2 from the equation. Additionally, barium carbonate is insoluble in water, making it useful for precipitating carbonate ions. There is also speculation about the structure of solid barium carbonate.
meawinner
I have this question to do for homework and i can't find the answer anywhere so please can someone help me. Barium hydroxide can sometimes be used instead of limewater to detect small quantities of CO2. Why is Barium hydroxide preferred here and in using it instead of sodium hydroxide for titrations where it is important to exclude dissolved carbonate ions? Please help. Thank-you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
BaOH reacts with the acidic oxide, the carbon dioxide, to form a salt and water; and thus CO2 is gotten rid of this way. Also barium carbonate is an insoluble substance in water; thus by having barium metals we can effectively precipitate the carbonate.

Last edited:
I think you mean Ba(OH)2?
What does barium carbonate look like?
I looked it up on chemfinder and it shows me the carbonate molecule and the barium ion, which is what it dissociates into I guess. But not in water since it's an insoluble salt, well maybe just a tiny bit but whatever. But the solid form of barium carbonate must have some kind of structure other than the carbonate and barium ions. I guess barium forms a four-sided ring with the two oxygens, or what?
help.
help help...

Last edited:

1. What is Barium Hydroxide and how is it used in titrations?

Barium Hydroxide is a chemical compound with the formula Ba(OH)2. It is a strong base and is commonly used in titrations as a primary standard to determine the concentration of an unknown acid solution. This is because Barium Hydroxide reacts quantitatively with acids to form a salt and water.

2. What are the benefits of using Barium Hydroxide in titrations?

The use of Barium Hydroxide in titrations offers several benefits. Firstly, it has a high purity and stability, making it a reliable and accurate primary standard. It also has a high equivalent weight, meaning that a smaller amount is needed for the titration process. Additionally, it is a strong base, allowing for a sharp endpoint in the titration.

3. Can Barium Hydroxide be used in all types of titrations?

No, Barium Hydroxide is primarily used in acid-base titrations. It can be used in both strong and weak acid titrations, but it is not suitable for use in redox titrations. This is because Barium Hydroxide does not have the ability to act as an oxidizing or reducing agent.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using Barium Hydroxide in titrations?

Yes, Barium Hydroxide is a corrosive substance and should be handled with caution. It can cause skin and eye irritation, so it is important to wear proper protective equipment when handling it. It should also be stored and disposed of properly according to safety guidelines.

5. Can Barium Hydroxide be used as a substitute for other primary standards in titrations?

Yes, Barium Hydroxide can be used as a substitute for other primary standards such as Potassium Hydrogen Phthalate (KHP) or Sodium Carbonate. However, it is important to ensure that the titration method and calculations are adjusted accordingly to account for the different equivalent weights of these substances.