Treating Depression with Deep Brain Stimulation

• Medical
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary: Sounds like a plausible theory. In summary, the article discusses how deep-brain stimulation (DBS) has been found to be helpful in the treatment of depression. Area 25, which is known to be overactive in patients with severe depression, was found to be inhibited by DBS. The stimulation was found to be helpful for 2/3 of the patients who received it, and it was found to be exciting some of the neurons, which inhibited neighbouring neurons.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am reading an article in this month's SciAm mind about treating depression with deep-brain stimulation. Researchers found that an area known as Area 25 is overactive in patients with severe depression. From what I understand, this area is sort of a "traffic controller" for neural paths between the frontal cortex and the limbic system. They did some neuroimaging experiments and found that when a depression attack occurred, frontal cortex activity plummeted and Area 25 activity increased. As the depressive episode subsided, frontal activity revived and Area 25 activity settled down.

Anyway, what they did to treat these patients was implant electrodes into Area 25, and then used an implanted "pacemaker" to send current to them.

What I am not clear about is how the electrical stimulation inhibits rather than excites the firing in this area.

Biology news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I am reading an article in this month's SciAm mind about treating depression with deep-brain stimulation. Researchers found that an area known as Area 25 is overactive in patients with severe depression. From what I understand, this area is sort of a "traffic controller" for neural paths between the frontal cortex and the limbic system. They did some neuroimaging experiments and found that when a depression attack occurred, frontal cortex activity plummeted and Area 25 activity increased. As the depressive episode subsided, frontal activity revived and Area 25 activity settled down.

Anyway, what they did to treat these patients was implant electrodes into Area 25, and then used an implanted "pacemaker" to send current to them.

What I am not clear about is how the electrical stimulation inhibits rather than excites the firing in this area.
I remember seeing a show on Discovery Health about a man who was near suicide and had been severly depressed for many years until he got the implant. Now he lives a normal life. Very interesting.

They had some pretty amazing results. Some of the patients felt better as soon as they turned on the electrodes. 2/3 of them returned to normal mood and function within months.

excitation of some neurons might inhibit neighbouring ones...or the neurons them selves might shut off(not sure chemically) if neighbouring synapses are being excited.

neurocomp2003 said:
excitation of some neurons might inhibit neighbouring ones...or the neurons them selves might shut off(not sure chemically) if neighbouring synapses are being excited.
sounds a little like guess work. Of course, the surgeon did say she is still investigating why this worked.

1. What is Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)?

Deep Brain Stimulation is a surgical procedure that involves implanting electrodes in specific areas of the brain and delivering electrical impulses to regulate abnormal brain activity. It is commonly used to treat movement disorders such as Parkinson's disease, but it is also being studied as a potential treatment for depression.

2. How does DBS treat depression?

The exact mechanism of how DBS treats depression is not fully understood, but it is believed that the electrical stimulation helps regulate the activity of certain brain regions that are involved in mood regulation. This can lead to a decrease in symptoms of depression and an improvement in overall mood.

3. Who is a candidate for DBS for depression?

DBS for depression is typically considered as a last resort treatment for individuals who have not responded to other forms of therapy, such as medication and psychotherapy. Candidates for DBS must also undergo a thorough evaluation to ensure they are suitable for the procedure.

4. What are the potential risks and side effects of DBS for depression?

As with any surgical procedure, there are risks involved with DBS for depression. These can include infection, bleeding, and damage to surrounding brain tissue. Some potential side effects of the stimulation include headaches, nausea, and sensory disturbances, but these can often be managed by adjusting the settings of the device.

5. How effective is DBS for depression?

The effectiveness of DBS for depression varies from person to person. Some studies have shown promising results, with up to 60% of patients experiencing a significant improvement in their symptoms. However, it is important to note that DBS is not a cure for depression and may not work for everyone.