Can Success Be Achieved Without Attending Elite Universities?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harvard
In summary, "Who Needs Harvard?" is a CNN documentary that delves into the significance and relevance of attending renowned universities such as Harvard. It features diverse perspectives from students, professors, and experts in education and career development. The documentary presents both arguments for and against attending Harvard, citing factors such as prestige, networking opportunities, academic rigor, high costs, and a competitive and stressful environment. It also addresses the issue of socioeconomic status and how it can impact admission and success at elite universities. Ultimately, the main takeaway is that the decision to attend a prestigious university like Harvard should be based on an individual's personal goals and values, as well as the potential financial and social implications.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/13/time.cover.tm/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Five years in Clown College!

I've always been amused by people who set their sites on 3 or 4 schools that they want to go to and claim that they will die if they don't get into one of them. Or the ones who say things like, "I'm way smarter then everyone else, but my grades are not that good and I've never put a lot of effort into school and my dream is to go to MIT".

1. What is "Who Needs Harvard?"

"Who Needs Harvard?" is a documentary produced by CNN that explores the value and necessity of attending prestigious universities like Harvard.

2. Who is featured in the documentary?

The documentary features a variety of individuals, including students, professors, and experts in education and career development.

3. What are some arguments for and against attending Harvard?

Some arguments for attending Harvard include the prestige and networking opportunities associated with the university, as well as the rigorous academic curriculum. On the other hand, some may argue that the high cost of tuition and the competitive and stressful environment may not be worth it.

4. How does "Who Needs Harvard?" address the issue of socioeconomic status in relation to attending prestigious universities?

The documentary discusses how students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds may face challenges in gaining admission to and succeeding at elite universities like Harvard. It also explores the role of privilege and connections in the admissions process.

5. What is the main takeaway from "Who Needs Harvard?"

The main takeaway from the documentary is that the value and necessity of attending a prestigious university like Harvard may vary for each individual. It is important to consider personal goals and values, as well as the potential financial and social implications, when making decisions about higher education.