Walter "Maynard" Ferguson: Jazz Legend Passes Away

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, Maynard Ferguson, one of the most influential jazz trumpet players of all time, has passed away. He was a master of the stratosphere, and his playing style was unique and exciting. His concerts were always enjoyable, and his influence will be felt by many musicians for years to come.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Ojai, CA (August 24, 2006) - Walter "Maynard" Ferguson, one of the most influential musicians and band leaders in the history of Jazz, passed away August 23rd

http://www.maynardferguson.com/

For those who don't know him, Maynard was one of the best. He was, without a doubt, the most influential jazz trumpet player on the planet for many years. My jazz band had the opportunity to open for his big band on a couple of occasions when I was in school. I don't think you'll find a jazz trumpet player out there that would not list him as an influence. I have well over 25 of his albums. I guess it's the big Birdland in the sky now.

I'm kinda bummed out now :grumpy:

To quote someone from MF's forums: "Gabriel is now playing second."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
More than Louis Armstrong or Miles Davis?

I don't know, a lot of white musicians in the 20's stole their work from black artists or flat out bought it from them. I don't know Maynards story though. Did he come up with his own stuff or not?

Maynard was definitely one of a kind. There is no way that anyone could mistake his sound or style. He started playing 4th with Stan Kenton's orchestra and made his way up through the ranks. His big bands were incredible. It's my personal opinion, but I would say he was an equal in influence to Miles and more of an influence than Armstrong.

'Tis sad. He was definitely one of the best, and certainly one of the most influential. I'd put him up there with Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie, and how about Al Hirt.

they only called him "master of the stratosphere". i myself am playing trumpet in school band, and he's been quite an influence. so long.

My roommate in college had many of his albums. His playing style was certainly unique and exiciting. Listening to a few of his tunes could easily get you pumped before exams.
We played several of his arrangements in jazz band: Stoney End, MacArthur Park, Cameleon, Hey Jude are a few that come to mind. I was lucky to have caught him live at the Newport Jazz Festival a couple of occasions. He will certainly be missed, fortunately we may continue to enjoy his legacy!

Last edited:
I played jazz trumpet in junior high (a shockingly good band for junior high) and he was one of my favorites. He played a concert at my high school a couple of years later and it was awesome.

Driving home from Philly tonight, I played a tribute on my ipod:

-Birdland
-Coconut Champagne
-Gonna Fly Now
-The Fox Hunt

Last edited:
Reading about how many people's High Schools he went to, he seems like a good guy in touch with the everday people. Good for him.

1. Who was Walter "Maynard" Ferguson?

Walter "Maynard" Ferguson was a Canadian jazz musician and bandleader known for his virtuosic trumpet playing and high range. He was active in the jazz scene from the 1950s until his death in 2006.

2. How did Walter "Maynard" Ferguson pass away?

Walter "Maynard" Ferguson passed away on August 23, 2006 at the age of 78 due to kidney and liver failure.

3. What were some of Walter "Maynard" Ferguson's most famous works?

Some of Walter "Maynard" Ferguson's most famous works include his hit single "Gonna Fly Now" from the Rocky movie soundtrack, his album "Conquistador", and his collaborations with other jazz greats such as Count Basie and Dizzy Gillespie.

4. What was Walter "Maynard" Ferguson's impact on the jazz world?

Walter "Maynard" Ferguson was known for his innovative and energetic playing style, as well as his ability to hit extremely high notes on the trumpet. He was also a mentor to many young musicians and helped to popularize jazz music through his performances and recordings.

5. How is Walter "Maynard" Ferguson remembered today?

Walter "Maynard" Ferguson is remembered as a jazz legend and one of the greatest trumpet players of all time. His music continues to inspire and influence musicians around the world, and he is often recognized for his contributions to the jazz genre.