Composite and one to one function

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the composition of two one-to-one functions results in another one-to-one function. The answer is no, as demonstrated by a counterexample provided. The conversation also suggests trying to prove the statement and highlights the definition of a one-to-one function as a helpful tool.
brad sue
Hi,

I have this question:
if f and [tex] f \circ g [/tex] are 1 to 1 functions, does it follow that g is 1-1 function?

My answer is NO g doesn't have to be 1-1 function.

for example ,

if g(3)=4 and g(7)=4,
then f( g(3) )= f( G(7) )=f(4) will produce the 1-1 function property.

Is my reasonning OK??

B

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to look at "true/false" questions like this is often to try to prove whatever it's asking, and if you can't, then see if you can build a counterexample by paying attention to what "breaks" your proof.

Your counterexample doesn't work, since then you'll have, as you wrote, [itex](f\circ g)(3) = (f\circ g)(7)[/itex], which obviously means [itex]f \circ g[/itex] is not 1-1.

So try to see if you can prove it. I'd suggest doing it by contradiction.

(And just to remind you, a function [itex]h[/itex] is 1-1 iff h(x) = g(y) implies x=y).

Last edited:
Data said:
The best way to look at "true/false" questions like this is often to try to prove whatever it's asking, and if you can't, then see if you can build a counterexample by paying attention to what "breaks" your proof.

Your counterexample doesn't work, since then you'll have, as you wrote, [itex](f\circ g)(3) = (f\circ g)(7)[/itex], which obviously means [itex]f \circ g[/itex] is not 1-1.

So try to see if you can prove it. I'd suggest doing it by contradiction.

(And just to remind you, a function [itex]h[/itex] is 1-1 iff h(x) = g(y) implies x=y).

Ok thank I found the problem

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a mathematical operation that combines two or more functions to create a new function. It is denoted by (f ∘ g)(x) and is read as "f composed with g of x". The output of the first function becomes the input of the second function, and so on.

2. How do you determine if a function is composite?

A function is composite if it can be written as a combination of two or more functions. To determine if a function is composite, look for functions nested inside one another, or if the output of one function is used as the input for another function.

3. What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a function in which each input has a unique output. This means that no two different inputs can have the same output. It is also known as an injective function.

4. How do you determine if a function is one-to-one?

To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line can intersect the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. Another way is to check if the function passes the vertical line test, which means that every vertical line drawn on the graph intersects the function at most once.

5. Can a function be both composite and one-to-one?

Yes, a function can be both composite and one-to-one. A composite function can be one-to-one if and only if both of its component functions are one-to-one. This means that the output of the first function must be the same as the input of the second function, and the output of the second function must be unique for each input.