Symbol ¥ Meaning - What Does It Mean?

• Thread starter bifurcate2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the symbol ¥ represents the Japanese currency, Yen. It can sometimes have an equals sign through the bottom, but its meaning is unclear in mathematical expressions. It could possibly be an old ANSI upper ASCII character, but further research is needed to determine its intended use.
bifurcate2
What does the folowing symbol mean: ¥ and it sometimes has an equals sign through the bottom

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks Greathouse, but it still does not make sense to me. The problem is as follows:

2^4 ¥ 3^2

Is that the complete statement of the problem?

YES, NUTRINO. If you completed it then it would be 16 ¥ 9 which makes no sense to me since we already have a symbol for greater than.

Where is the problem from? Have you looked through your notes, textbook, or whatever for a definition of this symbol? If you still can't find it, ask you ever gave you the problem.

It is from a GLencoe/McGraw-Hill text and yes, I have reread the chapter and preceding chapters, researched the symbol through Google, and the only thing that comes up is the Japanese symbol for YEN. I am beginning to think that the text made an error.

Hmm. In that case it makes me think of the old ANSI upper ASCII characters.

OK, here it is. It looks like character 180. Hmm... that doesn't help any, it's just an acute in Unocode. I have no idea what that could have been intended as.

1. What is the origin of the symbol ¥?

The symbol ¥, also known as the Japanese Yen symbol, has its roots in the Japanese writing system. It is derived from the Kanji character "圓" which means "circle" or "round". It was first used as a currency symbol for the Japanese Yen in the late 19th century.

2. What does the symbol ¥ represent?

The symbol ¥ represents the Japanese Yen, which is the national currency of Japan. It is also commonly used as a symbol for the Chinese Yuan and the Korean Won, as these currencies also use the same Kanji character for their respective names.

3. Is the symbol ¥ used in any other contexts besides currency?

Yes, the symbol ¥ is also used as a unit of measurement for weight in Japan. It is equivalent to 0.5 grams, and is used for measuring precious metals such as gold and silver.

4. How is the symbol ¥ different from the dollar sign ($)?

The symbol ¥ and the dollar sign ($) have different origins and represent different currencies. While the dollar sign is used to represent various currencies such as the US dollar and the Canadian dollar, the symbol ¥ is used specifically for the Japanese Yen. Additionally, the two symbols have different designs and are not interchangeable.

5. Is the symbol ¥ recognized and used globally?

Yes, the symbol ¥ is recognized and used globally as a currency symbol for the Japanese Yen. It is widely used in international trade and finance, and is also included in most international keyboards and currency conversion tools.