What is the best way to prepare for future math classes while self-studying?

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self-study
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's plans to double major in physics and math at a community college. They mention having free time in their multivariable calculus class, which is based on a textbook with exercises and formulas but lacking in proofs. The individual expresses concern about preparing for future math classes, particularly Linear Algebra and Differential Equations, which they struggled with in the past due to a poor understanding of Calculus I. They mention self-studying Calculus I over the summer and attempting to learn it more theoretically through a text by Apostol. Their question is whether they should focus on going through Apostol's Calculus volume I or first review linear algebra and differential equations. The response suggests focusing on linear algebra and differential equations,
proton
I'm currently attending a community college and will probably double major in physics and math. I'm currently taking a multivariable calculus class but I still have a lot of free time since the class is based on a textbook full of exercises and formulas with little proofs.
So I was wondering what is the best approach to preparing for future math classes. Since I did not really understand Linear Algebra that well last semester (even though I got an A) and I did not understand Differential Equations well either, I'm thinking that I should go relearn them. The reason I had trouble understanding them so much was because I understood Calculus I very poorly before. But I self-studied Calculus I during the summer and now understand the basic concepts much better than before. I'm still trying to do more self-studying with Calc I, but now I'm trying to learn it more theoretically thorough the text by Apostol.
So my question is this: Should I be trying to go through Apostol's Calculus volume I rigorously or going through linear algebra/differential equations first?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I would do is do through the linear algebra/differential equations. More breadth is better than depth. In analysis, you go deeper anyway.

The best way to learn may is indisputably to do many problems. Crack open the textbooks, and do every problem you can lay your eyes on. If you spot-check your understanding in Apostol, and find that you can solve most of the problems with little effort, go ahead and move onto something more challenging.

- Warren

http://knowmathematics.blogspot.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best way to start self-studying math?

The best way to start self-studying math is to assess your current level of understanding and identify any gaps in your knowledge. This can be done by taking a diagnostic test or reviewing your previous math notes. Once you have identified your areas of weakness, you can start by reviewing basic concepts and building a strong foundation.

How can I stay motivated while self-studying math?

Staying motivated while self-studying math can be challenging, but there are a few strategies you can use. Set specific goals for yourself and track your progress to stay motivated. Find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable. Additionally, try to relate math concepts to real-life applications to make the learning process more interesting.

What resources are available for self-studying math?

There are many resources available for self-studying math, such as textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. You can also utilize resources provided by educational websites or seek help from a tutor if needed. It is important to find resources that suit your learning style and provide clear explanations.

How much time should I dedicate to self-studying math?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-studying math depends on your goals and current level of understanding. It is recommended to spend at least 30 minutes to an hour each day consistently rather than cramming for long periods of time. However, if you have a specific deadline, you may need to adjust your study schedule accordingly.

How can I track my progress while self-studying math?

Tracking your progress while self-studying math is crucial to stay on track and make adjustments if necessary. You can track your progress by keeping a study journal, taking regular practice tests, or using online tracking tools. It is important to regularly review your progress and make changes to your study plan if needed.