Solving for Vertical Projectile Motion: Maximum Height, Time, Speed Formulas

In summary, a ball is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 25.0 m/s. To calculate its height, you can use the equation Y=Yo+Voyt+.5(g)(t)^2. The time it takes to reach its highest point can be found using Vy=Vyo+gt. The time it takes to hit the ground after reaching its highest point can be calculated using the same equation. The speed of the ball when it returns to its starting level can be found by using the force of gravity, which is -9.8m/s^2 or -10m/s^2, and the equation for velocity. Remember that the velocity decreases 10m/s each second due to gravity. The variables
Malicious
A ball is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 25.0 m/s. (a) How high does it rise? (b) How long does it take to reach its highest point. (c) How long does it take to hit the ground after it reaches its highest point? (d) What is its speed when it returns to the level from which it started?

What forumulas/equations should I use to use to solve each of those questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any basic kinematic equations? What kind of motion is a vertical throw? What is the acceleration?

The force of gravity is the only force that will act upon the object.
g=(-9.8m/s^2)

You can use Y=Yo+Voyt+.5(g)(t)^2 to calculate the height and the time.

Use Vy=Vyo+gt to solve for the time.

Btw, I think those are the correct equations lol. I'm new to Physics myself. Just remember that the velocity decreases 10m/s each second because of gravity. So if you throw an object up 40m/s it would take 4 seconds for it to reach it's highest point because the velocity decreases 10m/s each second.

g= -9.8m/s^2 , rounded= -10m/s^2

I see.. What does y represent?

EDIT: nvm, I found it in the book.

Last edited:
Just think of y as the y-axis or the height and x as the x axis(horizontal) or the displacement, distance.

Also the time it takes to hit the ground from the highest point. Think of the problem as a parabola.. Well an upside down parabola. =]

1. What is vertical projectile motion?

Vertical projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown or projected into the air and moves in a vertical path under the influence of gravity. This motion can be described by the object's height, time, and speed.

2. What is the maximum height formula for vertical projectile motion?

The maximum height formula for vertical projectile motion is h = vy^2 / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial vertical velocity, y is the initial height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. How do you calculate the time of flight for a vertical projectile?

The time of flight for a vertical projectile can be calculated using the formula t = 2vy / g, where t is the time of flight, v is the initial vertical velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the formula for calculating the initial vertical velocity of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the initial vertical velocity of a projectile is vy = v*sin(theta), where vy is the initial vertical velocity, v is the initial velocity, and theta is the angle of projection.

5. Can vertical projectile motion be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect vertical projectile motion. However, this effect is typically minimal and can be ignored in most cases. The formulas for maximum height, time, and speed assume that there is no air resistance.