Is there a resource for the effective mass of electrons in common metals?

In summary, there is no one definitive table for the effective mass of electrons in common metals as it can vary depending on the method of measurement. For a table of specific heat effective mass, refer to Ashcroft and Mermin's Solid State Physics text. The contact potential between two metals can be determined using a CPD measurement. The electronic effective mass is anisotropic and can vary depending on the measurement or calculation method.
Reality_Patrol
Does anyone have a link or reference to a table on the effective mass of electrons in the common metals?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Reality_Patrol said:
Does anyone have a link or reference to a table on the effective mass of electrons in the common metals?

thanks

Obviously, there are smart people here who know better than to tackle this one.

The term "effective mass", even within solid state physics, can in fact have a number of values depending on how it is measured. The "electronic" effective mass can often be derived from band structure dispersion, or measured from the cyclotron resonance, or even obtained from specific heat measurements. All of these need not produce the identical values.

For a table of specific heat effective mass for metals, refer to the table given in Ashcroft and Mermin's Solid State Physics text (1st Ed.) pg. 47. The ratio m*/m (where m is the bare mass) ranges from 0.38 for Sb to 12 for Nb.

Zz.

Zz,

Thanks for the info. I've got the reference on order. I would like to have some idea of the variation in values given by the different methods of measurement as well. I'm not sure which would be the best value to use given the experiments I'm contemplating. The value will determine many parameters so if the variation is large, the experiment will have to be redone many times.

On a related note, any suggestions on how to go about determining what the contact potential between 2 metals should be?

Thanks again, RP

Reality_Patrol said:
Zz,

Thanks for the info. I've got the reference on order. I would like to have some idea of the variation in values given by the different methods of measurement as well. I'm not sure which would be the best value to use given the experiments I'm contemplating. The value will determine many parameters so if the variation is large, the experiment will have to be redone many times.

It depends on what the experiment is. If you are measuring something related to electronic transport, then the effective mass would be something you use from the band structure calculation or the cyclotron measurement. If you are doing a heat transport experiment, then the specific heat effective mass is the one to use.

On a related note, any suggestions on how to go about determining what the contact potential between 2 metals should be?

Thanks again, RP

I don't know much about that. Maybe someone else has that info. If not, I'll do some checking when I go back to work on Monday.

Zz.

There's a standard technique for this - it's called a CPD (contact potential difference) measurement.

I just googled CPD "Kelvin probe" and found this:

http://www.mcallister.com/kpfaqpg.html

the electronic effective mass is anisotropic, try looking for Madarasz in Applied Physics back in 83 or 84, he did a calculation in silicon to show the differences in effective mass, density of states effective mass etc... Depending on the measurement or calculation, you'll need to do different things to get everything you need to be able to accurately extract the correct value from your experiments.

What is effective mass in metals?

Effective mass in metals refers to the measure of the mass of a free electron within a metal that is subject to external forces. It is a concept used to describe the behavior of electrons in a metal, and it is different from the actual mass of an electron in vacuum.

Why is effective mass important in materials science?

Effective mass plays a crucial role in understanding the electrical and thermal properties of metals. It helps explain the behavior of electrons in metals and their response to external stimuli, such as an electric field or temperature changes. This understanding is essential in designing and developing new materials for various applications.

How is effective mass calculated?

The effective mass of an electron in a metal can be calculated using the band structure of the material. It is determined by taking the second derivative of the energy with respect to the electron's wave vector in the material's band structure.

What factors can affect the effective mass in metals?

The effective mass in metals can be influenced by various factors, such as the crystal structure, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. Changes in these factors can alter the electron's behavior, leading to variations in the effective mass.

How does effective mass relate to the conductivity of metals?

The effective mass is directly related to the conductivity of metals. A lower effective mass means that the electrons can move more freely within the material, resulting in higher conductivity. On the other hand, a higher effective mass hinders electron mobility, leading to lower conductivity.