Example of Set X with Two Topologies: Continuous But Not Homeomorphic

In summary, the conversation is about finding an example of a set X with two topologies T and S such that the identity function from (X,T) to (X,S) is continuous but not homeomorphic. The definitions of "continuous" and "homeomorphic" are discussed, and the conversation goes on to discuss finding a set with two topologies and the steps to find the example.
kiriyama
Give an example of a set X with two topologies T and S such that the identity function from (X,T) to (X,S) is continuous but not homeomorphic.

I always struggle with these because I get overwhelmed by the generality that it has. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the definitions of "continuous" and "homeomorphic"? Also, this post should be in the Homework Help section.

i apologize i am new here...just looked for the first place that seemed appropriate

and i assume the definitions to be the standard ones...

continuous:
T and S are topologies and F:X->Y; for each S open subset V of Y, f^-1(V) is a T open subset of X

and homeomorphic:
f is one to one, onto, continuous, and open

Okay, and if I is the identity function from (X,T) to (X,S), V is a subset of X, what is I-1(V)? If U is a subset X, what is I(U)? Now if I is not a homeomorphism, it has to fail to have at least one of the four properties you listed under the definition of homeomorphic. If we are trying to find an example when I is continuous, then there is in fact only one of those four properties of homeomorphism that I would fail to have. Which is it?

i believe youre over complicating this

im looking for an example of a set X that has two topologies T and S that has an identity function from (X,T) to (X,S) that is continuous but not homeomorphic

i already know that given any space X and two topologies T and S, (X,T) and (X,S) are never homeomorphic.

im just looking for an example of this

you are looking for a set with two topologies, one contained in the other. ho hum.

try a 2 point set.

using a particular point topology?

or what?

can you please explain

i mean i get where youre headed but I am trying to find the missing step in between

nvmd...i got it...took a little longer than i hoped but i got it now

thanks for the help

What is a topology?

A topology is a mathematical structure that defines which sets are considered open sets in a given space. It allows for the study of concepts such as continuity, convergence, and connectedness.

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function between two topological spaces that preserves the structure of the spaces, meaning that points that are close to each other in the domain will be mapped to points that are close to each other in the range.

What does it mean for two topologies to be homeomorphic?

Two topologies are homeomorphic if there exists a continuous bijection (a one-to-one mapping) between the two topological spaces, where both the function and its inverse are continuous.

Can two topologies be continuous but not homeomorphic?

Yes, it is possible for two topologies to be continuous but not homeomorphic. This means that there is no continuous bijection between the two topological spaces that preserves the structure of the spaces.

What is an example of two topologies that are continuous but not homeomorphic?

An example of two topologies that are continuous but not homeomorphic is the standard topology and the discrete topology on the real line. The standard topology has open sets defined by open intervals, while the discrete topology has open sets defined by single points. There is no continuous bijection between these two topological spaces.