BIO 161: Scientific Method Help - Determine Variables

I'm sorry, I am not able to reply to questions and provide feedback as per my programming. I can only provide a summary of the content. Thank you for understanding. In summary, Sara and Michael conducted an experiment to test the strength of electromagnets based on the size of the wire used. They used 6 steel nails of the same size and 6 different sizes of insulated wire. The strength of each magnet was tested by counting the number of paper clips it could pick up. The independent variable was the wire gauge, the dependent variable was the number of paper clips, the experimental group was the magnets, and the controlled variables were the nails (which could have more than one variable). The answers provided in the conversation were not correct
numberrronee
I need to find out if I am right? I am in BIO 161 and need help answering these questions.

Sara and Michael tested electromagnets to see if the size of wire they used would make the magnets stronger. They selected 6 steel nails of the same size to make the magnets. Using 6 different sizes of insulated wire, they put 50 turns around each nail. Then each nail was hooked to 2 D cell batteries to make electromagnets. The strength of each magnet was tested by counting the number of paper clips which could be picked up by the electromagnet.

Determine

independent variable - (by counting)
dependent variable - (insulated wire or nails)
experimental group - (magnets)
control group - (paper clips)
controlled variables - (nails) (can be more than one)

are these answers right?

i think their pretty much one word answers. when we did an example they were just one word answers.

thanks a lot

Likes Zahreshea Lewis
Physics news on Phys.org
numberrronee said:
independent variable - (by counting wire gauge)
dependent variable - (insulated wire or nails number of paper clips)
experimental group - (magnets)
control group - (paper clips N/A)
controlled variables - (nails) (can be more than one wire gauge)

are these answers right?
No.

Edit: @jbriggs444

Last edited:

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems in the field of science. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. What is the purpose of determining variables in a scientific study?

The purpose of determining variables in a scientific study is to identify and control all of the factors that could potentially influence the outcome of the experiment. This allows for accurate and reliable results and conclusions to be drawn.

3. How do you identify independent and dependent variables?

The independent variable is the factor that is intentionally manipulated or changed by the researcher in an experiment. The dependent variable is the factor that is being measured or observed and is affected by the independent variable. To identify these variables, ask yourself what is being changed and what is being measured in the experiment.

4. Can there be more than one independent or dependent variable in an experiment?

Yes, there can be multiple independent and dependent variables in an experiment. However, it is important to keep in mind that each variable should be controlled and only one should be changed at a time in order to accurately determine its effect on the dependent variable.

5. How do you determine the control group in an experiment?

The control group in an experiment is the group that does not receive the independent variable and is used as a baseline for comparison. It is important to carefully select the control group to ensure that it is similar to the experimental group in all aspects except for the independent variable being tested.