Equations of motion for uniform acceleration

In summary, Homework Statement - A packing crate has a nass 100kg is allowed to slide down on a ramp until it hit the ground. The friction resistance to motion is 240N. The length of the ramp is 10 m and thehieght of the crate from the ground just before it started to slide is 6m. Calculate the speed of the crate just before it hits the ground.
geordieonline

Homework Statement

Hi All,

The question That I am stuck on is:

A packing crate has a nass 100kg is allowed to slide down on a ramp until it hit the ground. The friction resistance to motion is 240N. The length of the ramp is 10 m and thehieght of the crate from the ground just before it started to slide is 6m. Calculate the speed of the crate just before it hits the ground

To be perfectly honest, I don't know where to start! What would you work out first, don't want the answer just help on how to tackle the question - what needs to be worked out first?

Homework Equations

g= 10N/Kg

I've found these equations while researching (I think they are relevant):

Speed = Distance / Time

Velocity = speed + Direction

Work = Force x Distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to start

Any advice would be most welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing i would do with a question like this is draw a diagram and clearly label it, including all of the forces that are present

Cheers Dango

I Have a diagram, but don't know what or how to tackle the question?

Dont know how gravity / crate weight vs friction is worked out with an incline plane?

Would like some advice, direction as what to calculate first - I aint got a clue, have searched wikipedia etc and still don't understand stand:cry:

A problem like this is probable easier in terms of energy conservation

Do you know how to resolve a force into its horizontal and vertical parts ?

You also need this formula

acceleration = force/mass

I think it's way easier if you use work formula:
change in energy = force applied in that direction x distance

ignore everything else, and find the net force in the direction that object is moving
and only energy changing i kinetic energy

Work done by Friction + Work done by gravity = Final K.E. - Initial K.E.

<i hope this is right!>
now, u can work out the individual work done and find v.

1. What are the three equations of motion for uniform acceleration?

The three equations of motion for uniform acceleration are:

• Final velocity (vf) = Initial velocity (vi) + Acceleration (a) * Time (t)
  • Displacement (d) = Initial velocity (vi) * Time (t) + 0.5 * Acceleration (a) * Time (t)^2
  • Final velocity (vf)^2 = Initial velocity (vi)^2 + 2 * Acceleration (a) * Displacement (d)

2. What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when an object's velocity changes by the same amount in each equal interval of time.

3. How do you calculate acceleration using the equations of motion?

To calculate acceleration, you can use the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. Can you use the equations of motion for uniform acceleration to find the displacement of an object?

Yes, you can use the equation d = vi * t + 0.5 * a * t^2 to find the displacement of an object with uniform acceleration. This equation is derived from the other two equations of motion.

5. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when the velocity of an object changes by the same amount in each equal interval of time, while non-uniform acceleration is when the velocity changes by different amounts in each interval of time. In other words, the acceleration of an object with uniform acceleration is constant, while the acceleration of an object with non-uniform acceleration is changing.