Show that a function is increasing

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the function f(x) = 9x^2 + 3x is strictly increasing on the interval (0, 10]. Different methods are suggested, including using the first derivative of the function and factoring the expression for f(v)-f(u). The conversation also touches on the importance of clearly explaining the reasoning behind the solution.
Parthalan
Hi,

I'm in need of some help putting together this proof. I'm not sure if it's just harder than it looks, or I need to spend more time learning how to put them together.

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]f(x) = 9x^2 + 3x[/itex] is strictly increasing on the interval [itex](0, 10][/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize there are various arguments involving the turning point of a quadratic equation, but I don't think this is the type of answer that they're looking for.

Let [itex]u < v[/itex] be two elements of the interval [itex](0, 10][/itex]. Then from [itex]f(u) < f(v)[/itex] we obtain:
[tex]9u^2 + 3u < 9v^2 + 3v[/tex],
[tex]9u^2 + 3u - 9v^2 + 3v < 0[/tex]

From here, I think I need to get to [itex]u < v[/itex], but I can't see how to do it.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What sign does f(v)-f(u) have?

One thing you can do is evaluate the first derivative of the function on that specified interval.
Do you know how can you interpret the sign of the derivative of a function over a specified interval on how the function itself is behaving on that interval?

The sign must be [itex]f(v) - f(u) > 0[/itex], otherwise [itex]f(v) < f(u)[/itex].

Also, thanks for the suggestion about using the derivative, but I'm wondering if this can be done without.

Now for another go.

Let [itex]u < v[/itex] be in the interval [itex](0, 10][/itex]. Suppose that [itex]f(v) > f(u)[/itex]. Then:
[tex]f(v) - f(u) < 0[/tex]
[tex]9v^2 + 3v - 9u^2 + 3u < 0[/tex]
Which can only be true for [itex]u > v[/itex], hence, a contradiction.

Is that it, or did I miss a step?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Your reasoning is circular. If you really want to show its increasing without derivatives show f(v)-f(u) is positive by factoring the expression for it. Hint: it's divisible by (v-u). Correct the sign on the 3u term first.

Last edited:
Parthalan - read carfully what Dick is suggesting.

As an added hint start of your reasoning like this

Let u, v be two elelements in the interval (0,10] with u<v.

f(v)-f(u) = ...

and then as Dick says use the information you have to show this must be >0

I'm sure I have you all banging your head against a wall by now.

I got this far:

Let [itex]f(x) = 9x^2 + 3x[/itex] and [itex]u, v \in (0, 10][/itex], where [itex]u < v[/itex]. If the function is strictly increasing, then [itex]f(u) < f(v)[/itex]. From this, we determine:
[tex]f(v) - f(u) = (9v^2 + 3v) - (9u^2 + 3u)[/tex]
[tex]= 9v^2 + 3v - 9u^2 - 3u[/tex]
[tex]= (-3u + 3v)(1 + 3u + 3v)[/tex]
[tex]= -3(u - v)(1 + 3u + 3v)[/tex]
Since [itex]u < v[/itex], then [itex]u - v[/itex] must be negative. Since the product of two negatives is always a positive, and [itex](1 + 3u + 3v)[/itex] will also be positive, then [itex]f(v) - f(u)[/itex] must be positive, and therefore, [itex]f(u) < f(v)[/itex].
QED.

Is that right, or am I still going in circles?

Many thanks to the people who have helped.

Last edited:
:uhh: Is it even necessary to write so much about this? If [tex]0< x_{1} < x_{2}[/tex]

[tex]3x_{1} < 3x_{2}[/itex] and [tex]9{x_{1}}^2 < 9{x_{2}}^2 [/tex] . Therefore

[tex]9{x_{1}}^2 + 3x_{1} < 9{x_{2}}^2 + 3x_{2}[/tex]. We're done here.

Last edited:
Thanks!

That was what I tried to do in the first place, but I forgot to factor it first, and ended up trying to show that it was increasing because the difference between [itex]f(x_2)[/itex] and [itex]f(x_1)[/itex] was positive. Changing the inequality directly seems to be the easier way (not as easy as using the derivative, but unfortunately, it's a course that comes before calculus).

Last edited:
ziad1985 said:
One thing you can do is evaluate the first derivative of the function on that specified interval.
Do you know how can you interpret the sign of the derivative of a function over a specified interval on how the function itself is behaving on that interval?

Don't forget, this is the pre-calculus section! :tongue:

1. How can I prove that a function is increasing?

To prove that a function is increasing, you need to show that as the input (x-value) increases, the output (y-value) also increases. This can be done by taking the derivative of the function and showing that it is always positive.

2. Can I use a graph to show that a function is increasing?

Yes, a graph can be a helpful visual tool to show that a function is increasing. If the graph of the function has a positive slope, then it is increasing. You can also use the first derivative test to analyze the graph and determine if the function is increasing.

3. What is the difference between a strictly increasing and a non-decreasing function?

A strictly increasing function means that the output (y-value) increases at a constant and positive rate as the input (x-value) increases. A non-decreasing function, on the other hand, can have intervals where the output remains constant or increases at a slower rate.

4. Can a function be increasing on one interval and decreasing on another?

Yes, a function can have different intervals where it is increasing, decreasing, or constant. It is important to analyze the entire domain of the function to determine its overall behavior.

5. Is it possible for a function to be both increasing and decreasing at the same time?

No, a function cannot be both increasing and decreasing at the same time. This would mean that the output is increasing and decreasing at the same input, which is not possible. A function can, however, have a point of inflection where it changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.