Sound wave and energy can you help me?

In summary, the sound wave with an intensity of 2x10^(-3) W/m^2 is considered modestly loud. When listened to for 1.0 min, this sound will transfer 1.3572x10^-5 Joules of energy to your eardrum, assuming a diameter of 6mm. However, it was later discovered that the correct calculation should use the radius instead of the diameter, resulting in a different answer.
kingwinner
A sound wave with intensity 2x10^(-3) W/m^2 is perceived to be modestly loud. Your eardrum is 6.0 mm in diameter. How much energy will be transferred to your eardrum while listening to this sound for 1.0 min?

P=IA=(intensity)(area)
=2x10^(-3) * (pi (6x10^-3)^2)
=2.2610x10^-7 W

P=delta E/ delta t
=2.2610x10^-7 J/s * 60 s
=1.3572x10^-5 J

But this is not the right answer. I have no idea what I did wrong. Can someone please help me? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing the diameter is 6mm. Not the radius. Change your pi*r^2 number.

Thanks for pointing it out! I rarely make this kind of silly mistake

1. What is the definition of sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of energy that travels through a medium, such as air or water, in the form of a pressure wave. It is created by the vibration of an object and can be detected by the human ear.

2. How does sound energy travel?

Sound energy travels in the form of longitudinal waves, meaning that the particles of the medium vibrate in the same direction as the wave is moving. This allows sound waves to travel through solids, liquids, and gases.

3. What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is affected by the medium it is traveling through, as well as temperature and humidity. Sound travels faster in denser mediums, such as solids, and faster in warmer temperatures.

4. How does sound energy transfer to other forms of energy?

When sound waves interact with a surface, they can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. This can result in the transfer of energy to different forms, such as heat or electrical energy.

5. Can sound energy be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, sound energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electricity, through technologies like piezoelectric materials. Sound energy is also used in various practical applications, such as in ultrasound technology or musical instruments.