US Government keeping tabs on citizens via driver's licenses.

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary, a conversation about a website that allows users to view anyone's driver's license with just their name and state turned into a discussion about privacy and the quality of driver's license photos. Some users expressed concern about the potential for data collection while others joked about their own photos. The conversation ended with one user sharing that they were happy with their photo on their driver's license.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Apparently, an agency is being contracted by the US Government to keep track of everyone's driver's license. All anyone needs to know about you to view your license (picture and all) is your name and the state you live in.

See if yours is in there, mine is.

Link

Physics news on Phys.org

But what if you don't have a license? How does the Government keep tabs on someone then?:confused:

Restarting the discussion of a previously locked thread. How could you, Tom? The only fair thing to do now is give yourself a warning for violating forum guidelines! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Heh, I didn't even know it had been discussed before! I'd give myself a warning, but alas I'm in a protected user group. So I'll just give you a warning instead. :rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
Heh, I didn't even know it had been discussed before! I'd give myself a warning, but alas I'm in a protected user group. So I'll just give you a warning instead. :rofl:
It shouldn't have been closed. This is a clear cut invasion of privacy. Not to mention how terrible driver's license pictures look!

I do NOT want someone to be able to go online and view THAT!

Evo said:
Not to mention how terrible driver's license pictures look!
Holy crap! I've lost a lot of hair.

Doc Al said:
Holy crap! I've lost a lot of hair.

I grew a bunch, and grew fangs, and ... :eek:

That was an old picture. I don't look as young as that any more.

Evo said:
I do NOT want someone to be able to go online and view THAT!
You know the worse : it even works if one uses your username and inserts "Physics Forums" instead of state ! :eek:

even though these kinds of websites are fun jokes, you shouldn't enter your real name and city/state as they could be doing some kind of data collecting...

usahockey said:
even though these kinds of websites are fun jokes, you shouldn't enter your real name and city/state as they could be doing some kind of data collecting...
If they wanted to collect data, they could get copies of phone books with not only your name and state, but your street address and phone number. :rolleyes:

No, this site is not collecting anything.

humanino said:
You know the worse : it even works if one uses your username and inserts "Physics Forums" instead of state ! :eek:

Egads, they're everywhere!

Sex: never
ow

10chars

Damm! That is one of the better drivers license photo's of me.

1. How does the US government track citizens through their driver's licenses?

The US government uses a combination of state DMV databases and facial recognition technology to track citizens through their driver's licenses. When a person obtains a driver's license, their personal information and photo are stored in a state database. This information can then be accessed by law enforcement agencies for identification and tracking purposes. Additionally, the government has access to a vast network of surveillance cameras equipped with facial recognition software, which can match a person's face to their driver's license photo.

2. Is it legal for the US government to track citizens through their driver's licenses?

The legality of the US government tracking citizens through their driver's licenses is a complex issue. While there are no laws explicitly prohibiting this practice, it has been challenged in court as a violation of privacy rights. However, the government argues that this tracking is necessary for national security and public safety purposes, and courts have generally sided with the government on this matter.

3. Can the US government track citizens in real-time through their driver's licenses?

No, the US government does not have the capability to track citizens in real-time through their driver's licenses. While they may have access to databases and surveillance cameras, they are not constantly monitoring individuals' movements. Additionally, obtaining real-time tracking would require a court order or warrant.

4. What information is stored on a person's driver's license and accessible to the US government?

A person's driver's license typically contains their full name, date of birth, address, and driver's license number. It may also include their height, weight, and eye color. This information is accessible to the US government through state databases and can be used for tracking purposes.

5. Can citizens opt-out of being tracked through their driver's licenses?

There is currently no option for citizens to opt-out of being tracked through their driver's licenses. Obtaining a driver's license is a requirement for operating a motor vehicle in the US, and the government has the authority to collect and store this information. However, some states have passed laws limiting the use of facial recognition technology in DMV databases, providing some level of protection for citizens' privacy.