Change in Tension & Fundamental Frequency of a String

In summary, a change in tension of a stretched string results in a change in the fundamental frequency. By taking a binomial expansion to the first order in h/T, the change in frequency can be approximated as h/2T times the initial frequency.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Change in Tension & Fundamental Frequency of a String

Problem. Show that if the tension in a streched string is change by a small amount [itex]\Delta F_T[/itex], the frequency of the fundamental is changed by a small amount [itex]\Delta f = 1/2 (\Delta F_T / F_T) f[/itex].

Let T be the intial tension and h the change in tension. The velocity of a transverse wave on the string is [itex]v = \sqrt{T/\mu}[/itex]. The initial frequency is

[tex]f = \frac{v}{\lambda} = \frac{\sqrt{T}}{\lambda \sqrt{\mu}}[/tex]

The new frequency f' is

[tex]f' = \frac{v'}{\lambda} = \frac{\sqrt{T + h}}{\lambda \sqrt{\mu}}[/tex]

The difference is:

[tex]f' - f = \frac{1}{\lambda \sqrt{\mu}} \, (\sqrt{T + h} - \sqrt{T})[/tex]

That looks nothing like what I'm trying to show. Now, if I multiply the RHS by [itex]\sqrt{T} / \sqrt{T}[/itex], I get

[tex]f' - f = \frac{\sqrt{T + h} - \sqrt{T}}{\sqrt{T}} \, f[/tex]

and if I do it again, I get

[tex]f' - f = \frac{\sqrt{T(T + h)} - T}{T} \, f[/tex]

which is as close as I could get to what needs to be shown.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binomial expansion

[tex]\sqrt{T + h} = \sqrt{T}(1 + h/T)^{1/2}[/tex]

Hint: Approximate that expression by taking a binomial expansion to first order in h/T. (Note that h/T << 1)

Doc Al said:
Hint: Approximate that expression by taking a binomial expansion to first order in h/T. (Note that h/T << 1)

Great hint! I never considered it. The approximation is given below:

[tex]\sqrt{T(T + h)} = T + 1/2 \, h[/tex]

and so

[tex]f' - f = \frac{T + 1/2 \, h - T}{T} \, f = \frac{h}{2T} \, f[/tex]

Thanks.

1. How does tension affect the fundamental frequency of a string?

The fundamental frequency of a string is directly proportional to the tension applied to the string. This means that as the tension increases, the fundamental frequency also increases. In other words, a tighter string will produce a higher pitch compared to a looser string.

2. What factors can cause a change in tension of a string?

There are several factors that can cause a change in tension of a string, such as adjusting the tuning pegs, pressing down on the fretboard, or using a capo. Additionally, temperature and humidity can also affect the tension of a string.

3. How does a change in tension affect the sound produced by a string?

A change in tension can significantly alter the sound produced by a string. As the tension increases, the string will vibrate at a higher frequency, producing a higher pitch. Conversely, a decrease in tension will result in a lower pitch. This is why tuning your instrument is crucial for producing accurate and pleasant sound.

4. Is there a limit to how much tension can be applied to a string?

Yes, there is a limit to how much tension can be applied to a string. If the tension becomes too high, the string may break due to the strain. Different types of strings have different maximum tension limits, so it is essential to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for your specific instrument.

5. Can adjusting the tension of a string affect its intonation?

Yes, adjusting the tension of a string can affect its intonation. Intonation refers to the accuracy of the pitch produced by a string when played at different frets. If the tension of a string is not properly adjusted, it can cause the string to produce an incorrect pitch when played at different frets, resulting in poor intonation. This is why it is essential to tune your instrument regularly and make small adjustments to the tension as needed.