How does a Faraday cage protect against lightning strikes?

In summary, a Faraday cage is an approximation to an ideal hollow conductor and can block external electric fields. However, when lightning strikes a metal cage, the cage is momentarily not in electrostatic equilibrium and the person inside may be at risk until the charges redistribute themselves. The use of a perfect conductor in a Faraday cage would eliminate the risk, while a normal metal cage may still have a measurable voltage difference due to the current and resistance.
kaotak
I've looked this up extensively on the web but nothing seems to answer this question satisfactorily. For example, here's Wikipedia's answer.

A Faraday cage is best understood as an approximation to an ideal hollow conductor. Externally applied electric fields produce forces on the charge carriers (usually electrons) within the conductor, generating a current that rearranges the charges. Once the charges have rearranged so as to cancel the applied field inside, the current stops.

The cage will block external electrical fields even if the cage contains some charges and an electric field in its interior. This is a consequence of the superposition principle and the fact that the Maxwell equations are linear.

I try thinking of it considering the properties of a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium. The charge on a conductor in equilibrium resides on the surface and the electric field is zero inside. Okay...

But once lightning hits a metal cage with a person inside, isn't the cage momentarily NOT in electrostatic equilibrium? Isn't the cage not in electrostatic equilibrium until the charges are done redistributing themselves, and in this period of time, won't the person inside be fried?

Physics news on Phys.org
kaotak said:
I've looked this up extensively on the web but nothing seems to answer this question satisfactorily.

I try thinking of it considering the properties of a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium. The charge on a conductor in equilibrium resides on the surface and the electric field is zero inside. Okay...

But once lightning hits a metal cage with a person inside, isn't the cage momentarily NOT in electrostatic equilibrium? Isn't the cage not in electrostatic equilibrium until the charges are done redistributing themselves, and in this period of time, won't the person inside be fried?

i think you need to think about Gauss's Law and what the component parallel to the cage shell of any E field is.

rbj said:
i think you need to think about Gauss's Law and what the component parallel to the cage shell of any E field is.

Those are words that make no sense to me. I know Gauss's Law, but what does it have to do with lightning striking a cage and the person inside not being hurt?

kaotak said:

This is true, but lightning is a very different phenomenon than electromagnetic radiation. Lightning is an electrostatic discharge, and it will deposit a charge on a conductor, resulting in an electric current. EM radiation requires an electric field to pass through the conductor, which will quickly rearrange its charges to cancel out the field.

So why doesn't the lightning hurt the person inside?

Why does lightning even hurt people? Why does it kill people?

nvm

Last edited by a moderator:
kaotak said:
Those are words that make no sense to me. I know Gauss's Law, but what does it have to do with lightning striking a cage and the person inside not being hurt?

it has something to do with the fact that there can't be any electric fields inside the cage. whether or not there is a nasty E-field just outside of the cage.

When the lightning strikes the metal cage, why isn't there an electric field on the inside? The cage isn't in electrostatic equilibrium anymore, it just got some charge added to it and caused a current to flow.

kaotak said:

This is correct, but the deviation from equilibrium comes about from the finite conductivity of the cage. There is a relaxation time associated to a conductor (rho/epsilon) which is the time constant which governs the redistribution of charge in a conductor which is not in electrostatic equilibrium. For copper, it is of the order of 10^(-19) seconds, which means that electrostatic equilibrium is re-established on that timescale (see for instance section 4.3.5 in Lorrain, Corson and Lorrain).

Maybe it would be appropriate if we decide if we are talking about a Faraday cage made of ideal conductor (zero resistivity) or of real metal like copper.
The thunderbolt implies a large current. If the cage where made of perfect conductor, there will be no difference of potential between the hit point and the exit point. If the cage if made of normal metal there will be an difference of voltage due to the current going through the metal resistance. This voltage difference will be measurable from the inside of the cage. Will it be big or not depends on the current and the resistance of the metal.

1. How does a Faraday cage block electromagnetic waves?

A Faraday cage works by creating a conductive shield that surrounds an object or space. This shield absorbs and distributes the electromagnetic waves, preventing them from passing through to the inside of the cage. This is known as the Faraday cage effect.

2. What materials are typically used to make a Faraday cage?

The most common materials used to make a Faraday cage are metal, such as copper or aluminum, and conductive mesh, such as copper mesh or expanded metal. These materials have high electrical conductivity, which allows them to effectively absorb and distribute electromagnetic waves.

3. Can a Faraday cage protect against all types of electromagnetic radiation?

A Faraday cage can protect against most types of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, and even some types of gamma rays. However, it may not be able to block extremely low frequency (ELF) waves or very high frequency (VHF) waves.

4. How does the size and shape of a Faraday cage affect its effectiveness?

The size and shape of a Faraday cage can affect its effectiveness in blocking electromagnetic waves. The cage must be large enough and properly sealed to completely enclose the object or space it is protecting. The shape can also impact the distribution of electromagnetic waves, with curved or pointed shapes being more effective at dispersing waves.

5. What are some common uses for Faraday cages?

Faraday cages have a variety of uses, including protecting sensitive electronic equipment from electromagnetic interference (EMI), shielding against lightning strikes, and creating secure spaces for sensitive information or experiments. They are also commonly used in the construction of MRI machines and in the design of microwave ovens.