Constant water drop rate (via diffusion)?

In summary: So, you can use a bigger pipe and a bigger rope, this will be less precise but more robust.In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a simple and inexpensive device to drop water droplets at a constant rate. The idea of using half a cloth in the bucket and the other half outside is proposed, but it is noted that this will not produce a truly constant rate. Other suggestions are given, such as using a tight container or a capillary clock, but it is mentioned that these methods may not be precise due to factors such as temperature and evaporation rate. The use of a stopper and a pipe to regulate the water level and drop rate is suggested, with the caveat that this may not be exact but more robust.
leoflc
Hi,

I need to make a simple and cheap device that I can water droplet at a constant rate (from a bucket of water).
The size of the droplet doesn't matter, it just needs to be dropping at a constant rate (at least for a day).

So I was thinking, can I achieve that by putting half of a cloth in the bucket, and the other half on the outside of the bucket. By doing that, the water should be sucked out of water because of diffusion, and the outside half of the cloth will be dropping water droplet at a constant rate.

Will this work?
Is ther any other way I can make a device that can drop water droplet at a constant rate (at least for a day)?
Is is there data out there that can help me with the diffusion rate for certain type of material?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
It can work, but this has nothing to do with diffusion. It is just capillarity that "sucks" the water and prime de siphon. But the rate will not be really constant. It will depend on the difference of height between the surface of the water in the bucket and the extremity of the rope (better than a cloth).
If you need a really constant rate, you must use a trick. Take a tight container (a big one) and a stopper. Put a pipe trough the stopper and adjust the pipe in order that its low opening is almost at the bottom of the water. Insert the rope through the pipe. It must not be tight. Air must pass freely between the rope and the inner wall of the pipe.
As the water is sucked, the level in the pipe will descent until it arrives at the lower extremity of the pipe. Then air bubbles will enter the container as the water is slowly sucked.
Now the distance which determines the drops rate is the height between the bottom of the pipe and the lower extremity of the rope.

lpfr said:
If you need a really constant rate, you must use a trick.
Basically idea is to have a vessel with constant fluid level (hence constant pressure despite that the reservoir empties).

lpfr's idea is equivalent to using the base of a bird-feeder as that vessel.

Another version (I think I got this one from Hero of Alexandria) is to have a large reservoir drip into a smaller container (quickly, so that the smaller container is constantly overflowing, and let the overflow be discarded down some other hose). Now, since the pressure (ie. level) in the smaller container remains constant, a tap at its bottom will drip at a constant rate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the helps!
I don't really need the rate to be that consistence, just need to be accurate enough for a day.
I was thinking about suing the capillarity idea to make a water clock.

lpfr said:
It can work, but this has nothing to do with diffusion. It is just capillarity that "sucks" the water and prime de siphon. But the rate will not be really constant. It will depend on the difference of height between the surface of the water in the bucket and the extremity of the rope (better than a cloth).
If you need a really constant rate, you must use a trick. Take a tight container (a big one) and a stopper. Put a pipe trough the stopper and adjust the pipe in order that its low opening is almost at the bottom of the water. Insert the rope through the pipe. It must not be tight. Air must pass freely between the rope and the inner wall of the pipe.
As the water is sucked, the level in the pipe will descent until it arrives at the lower extremity of the pipe. Then air bubbles will enter the container as the water is slowly sucked.
Now the distance which determines the drops rate is the height between the bottom of the pipe and the lower extremity of the rope.

Thanks a lot for the tip.
But I'm not so sure what is the stopper, can I get that from places like homedepot?
Thanks a lot!

leoflc said:
Thanks a lot for the tip.
But I'm not so sure what is the stopper, can I get that from places like homedepot?
Thanks a lot!
The stopper is just the cap of the container or the cork of a bottle. It is what renders the container thigh. It comes with the container.

You can do a capillary clock, it can work. You can even consider entering the records book with the most imprecise clock in the world. The reason is that drop rate and drop size depend on viscosity of the water, surface tension of the water and evaporation rate. All this depend on the temperature. The evaporation rate depends also on air humidity and air circulation.

What is diffusion?

Diffusion is the process by which molecules move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.

How does diffusion affect the constant water drop rate?

When water is dropped into a container, it will diffuse into the surrounding air until the concentration of water molecules in the air is equal to the concentration of water molecules in the droplet. This will result in a constant water drop rate, as the rate of diffusion remains the same.

Does temperature affect the constant water drop rate?

Yes, temperature can affect the constant water drop rate. Higher temperatures will increase the rate of diffusion, resulting in a faster constant water drop rate. Lower temperatures will decrease the rate of diffusion, resulting in a slower constant water drop rate.

What factors can affect the constant water drop rate?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect the constant water drop rate include the surface area of the water droplet, the concentration of water molecules in the surrounding air, and the presence of any barriers or obstacles that may impede the diffusion process.

Can diffusion occur in all states of matter?

Yes, diffusion can occur in all states of matter, including solids, liquids, and gases. In solids, diffusion occurs through the movement of atoms or molecules within the solid structure. In liquids and gases, diffusion occurs through the random movement of molecules within the substance.