Solving an Equation with Trigonometric Terms

In summary, to solve the equation (tan x + sec x)^2 = (1 + sin x)/(1 - sin x), you can use the property tan^2x + 1 = sec^2 x and manipulate both sides of the equation simultaneously. This will lead to the solution 2tan x sec x + sec^2x - 1 = (1 + sin x)^2/(1 - sin^2x), which can then be simplified to (1 + sin x)/(1 - sin x).
sacwchiri
more trig...

Amm I've been at this problem for an hour already it loooked really easy but for some reason i can't reach the answer
(tan x + sec x)^2 = (1 + sin x)/(1 - sin x)

soo what went and tried was expand it and then exchage tan and sec..

(sin^2 x /cos^2 x )+ (2/cos x) + (1/ sin^2 x)

((sin^2)(sin^2) + (2(sin^2)(cos)) + cos^2)/((sin^2)(cos^2))

((sin^2)(sin^2 + 2cos - 1) + 1)/((sin^2)(1-sin^2))

(sin^2 + 2cos)/(1-sin^2)

and after i get there i njust don't know how to get to the (1 + sin x)/(1 - sin x)

any ideas??

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
you can write

(1 + sin x)/(1 - sin x) = [(1 + sin x)(1 + sin x)]/[(1 + sin x)(1 - sin x)]

sacwchiri said:
Amm I've been at this problem for an hour already it loooked really easy but for some reason i can't reach the answer
(tan x + sec x)^2 = (1 + sin x)/(1 - sin x)

soo what went and tried was expand it and then exchage tan and sec..

(sin^2 x /cos^2 x )+ (2/cos x) + (1/ sin^2 x)

Oh, you're wrong from the start... =.="
sec(x) = 1 / (cos(x)), instead of 1 / (sin(x)), as you have written above.
You should re-do the problem, and follow malawi_glenn's hint.

You can also manipulate both sides a the same time, instead of 1 side at 1 time. Like this:
[tex](\tan x + \sec x) ^ 2 = \frac{1 + \sin x}{1 - \sin x}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \left (\tan x + \frac{1}{\cos x} \right) ^ 2 = \frac{(1 + \sin x) ^ 2}{1 - \sin ^ 2 x}[/tex]
<=> ...

Can you go from here? :) It should be easy.

ok well after asking arround i got to the answer... thanks for the help but the thing is I am supposed to just use the properties to reach other side... i can't alter it... but i guess is my fault for not specifying... well the way it went was quite tricky and required a property i don't use normally which is tan^2x + 1 = sec^2 x

so using that you get that

2tan x sec x + sec^2x - 1... and one more thing i realized i was using the sec = 1/sin ... ummm opps... but really thanks for the ideas

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that contains trigonometric terms, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc.

How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, combining like terms, and isolating the variable.

What are the common trigonometric identities used to solve equations?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identity, the double angle identities, the sum and difference identities, and the half angle identities.

Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving the equation so that you can check your work and understand the solution.

Are there any special cases when solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are special cases when solving trigonometric equations, such as when the equation contains multiple trigonometric functions or when there are restrictions on the values of the variable. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and use the appropriate trigonometric identities to solve it.