Discrete and continuous problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for converting a discrete argument to a continuous argument in order to easily solve certain problems, such as calculating the sum of a sequence as the integral of a function. However, the conditions for this conversion and the definition of the function for non-integer values play a crucial role in the accuracy and outcome of the solution.
haiha
Hi all,

There are some dificult problems with discrete argument n that will be very easy if I can change it to continuous argument x. But I do not know what is the condition for that.
For example: to calculate the sum of a1+a2 +a3+...an. when n goes to infinity, can I make it as S=integral of a(x) from xo to infinity ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For example: to calculate the sum of a1+a2 +a3+...an. when n goes to infinity, can I make it as S=integral of a(x) from xo to infinity ?
It depends very much on how you define a(x) for x not an integer.

Could you please explain more about that.
I just think the sume of An is similar to the way we calculate the integral in calculus. I mean Sum(An) = a1*d+a2*d+...an*d where d equals 1. When we calculate to rather large integer n, then d = 1 is small enough to have adequate accuracy.
May I think that this can happen only when f(x) must have positive (or negartive) derivative all over the domain, and f(x) must also have no critical points. ?

Since a(x) has to be defined for x not integer, the integral will depend on precisely how it is defined. For example, linear interpolation between the integer values will give you a function which can be integrated to give the same result as the summation.

1. What is the difference between discrete and continuous problems?

Discrete problems involve a finite or countable number of distinct values, while continuous problems involve an infinite number of possible values within a given range.

2. Can you provide an example of a discrete problem?

A classic example of a discrete problem is the "travelling salesman problem", where the goal is to find the shortest route that visits a specific set of cities only once.

3. What is an example of a continuous problem?

An example of a continuous problem is finding the maximum height of a projectile launched at a specific angle and velocity, where there are infinite possible values for the height within a given range.

4. Are there any real-world applications for discrete and continuous problems?

Yes, both discrete and continuous problems have numerous real-world applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, economics, and physics. For example, discrete problems are commonly used in optimizing supply chain logistics, while continuous problems are often used in financial modeling.

5. Is it possible for a problem to be both discrete and continuous?

No, a problem can only be classified as either discrete or continuous. However, some problems may have both discrete and continuous components, such as a production scheduling problem that involves discrete production units but also requires optimization of continuous production processes.