Is 2 pi i equal to 0, contradicting the fact that pi and i cannot equal 0?

• Thread starter nicktacik
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of logarithms and the definition of LN in the complex plane. It is important to note that logs of complex numbers are only defined up to multiples of 2pi and the mistake lies in assuming that ln(e^z) is equal to z for complex numbers. The correct statement is exp(ln(z)) = z, where z is not equal to 0.
nicktacik
This one has me stumped.

[tex]e^{\pi i} = -1[/tex]
[tex]e^{2 \pi i} = (-1) ^ 2 = 1 [/tex]
[tex]ln(e^{2 \pi i}) = ln(1) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]2 \pi i = 0 [/tex]

Or is 2 pi i actually 0, and this does not actually imply that either pi = 0 or i = 0?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since [itex] 2 \pi i [/itex] is an imaginary number you must use the definition of LN in the complex plane. You are using the definition for the real number line.

in the complex plane we have:

[tex] logz = log(r) + i \theta [/tex]

edit (changed my definition of z)
[tex] r = |z| [/tex]
and
[tex] \theta = arg(z) [/tex]

Last edited:
More than that - logs of complex numbers are only defined up to multiples of 2pi. One can ought to take the principal branch - this is just a slightly more complicated variation on the square root 'fallacies'.

The mistake is here:
[tex] \ln e^z = z[/tex]
This is not true for complex numbers.

Note: the other way around:
[tex] \exp (\ln z) = z, \ z\not =0[/tex]
Is true.

Ok thanks. As you can see, I haven't taken my complex variables class yet.

its sort of like saying, (2^2 =4 and (-2)^2 = 4 so 2 = -2.)

1. What is a fallacy?

A fallacy is a mistaken belief or reasoning that is based on unsound or faulty arguments. It is a common error in logic that can lead to incorrect conclusions.

2. How do I identify a fallacy?

To identify a fallacy, you need to closely examine the arguments being presented and look for any errors in reasoning. Some common signs of a fallacy include logical inconsistencies, false assumptions, and faulty evidence.

3. What are the different types of fallacies?

There are many different types of fallacies, but some of the most common include ad hominem, false cause, straw man, and slippery slope. Each of these fallacies has its own unique characteristics and can be identified by specific indicators.

4. Why is it important to recognize fallacies?

Recognizing fallacies is important because it allows us to think critically and avoid making incorrect conclusions based on faulty reasoning. It also helps us to evaluate arguments and make well-informed decisions.

5. Can fallacies be deliberately used to manipulate others?

Yes, fallacies can be deliberately used to manipulate others. In fact, they are often used in advertising, politics, and other forms of persuasion to sway people's opinions or beliefs. That is why it is important to be aware of fallacies and their manipulative tactics.