Not an actual hw problem, but it might as well be

• Thread starter lampshade
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the centripetal acceleration of a 7200 rpm 2.5 inch notebook hard drive. The equation used is \frac{v^{2}}{r}, with the given radius of 0.03175 m. The resulting calculation is approximately 1841.78903 g.
lampshade

Homework Statement

Basically I bought a new 7200 rpm hard drive and I was curious about it since it is a 2.5 inch notebook hard drive. What I was wondering was how many g's were pulled at the edge of the disk while it spun at 7200 rpm

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex]

I'm just going to make up a number and say the radius is 1.25 inches on a 2.5 inch drive so let's say the radius of the spinning disk then is 0.03175 m

The Attempt at a Solution

so basically what I then did was
7200 rpm where 1 revolution is 2pi rad
7200*2pi rad is about 45238.9342 rad/min
divide by 60 to convert to seconds
753.982237 s^-1
then [tex]\omega^{2}*r[/tex] becomes my centripetal acceleration, right?

Therefore assuming a radius of .03175 the edge of the disk is feeling an acceleration of 753.982237^2 * 0.03175 = 18049.5325 m/s^2

which would be roughly 1841.78903 g?

ugh I'm embarrassed that I"m not confident about this answer. Does everything look good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Hello! First of all, it's great that you're curious about your new hard drive and wanting to understand the physics behind it. Your calculations and approach seem to be correct, and your final answer of roughly 1842 g does seem to be in the range of what is expected for a 7200 rpm hard drive. However, it's important to note that this is just an estimate and the actual g-force experienced by the edge of the disk could vary depending on factors such as the design and materials of the drive. Additionally, g-force is not the only factor that determines the performance of a hard drive, as there are other factors such as data transfer rates and seek times that also play a role. Overall, it's great that you're thinking critically about your new hard drive and its capabilities. Keep exploring and learning!

1. What is the purpose of "Not an actual hw problem, but it might as well be"?

The purpose of this statement is to emphasize the difficulty or complexity of a given problem or task, even though it may not be an actual homework problem. It is often used as a humorous way to express frustration or to acknowledge the challenge of a particular situation.

2. How can I tell if something is actually a homework problem or not?

Typically, a homework problem will be assigned by a teacher or professor and will be related to the subject matter being studied. It may also have specific instructions or guidelines to follow. If you are unsure, you can always ask your instructor for clarification.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with a problem that is not an actual homework problem?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to seek assistance with any problem or task, regardless of whether it is an official homework assignment or not. Seeking help can lead to a better understanding of the material and can also improve problem-solving skills.

4. What should I do if I can't solve a problem that "might as well be" a homework problem?

If you are struggling with a problem that is not an actual homework assignment, it may be helpful to approach it in the same way you would approach a homework problem. This could include breaking it down into smaller parts, researching similar problems, or seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor.

5. Why do scientists use the phrase "Not an actual hw problem, but it might as well be"?

Scientists, like many other professionals, often face complex and challenging problems in their work. Using this phrase allows them to acknowledge the difficulty of a problem while also adding a touch of humor. It can also serve as a reminder that not all problems are as straightforward as they may seem.