Intro book for Mathematical Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses various books on mathematical analysis for self-studying purposes. Pugh's "Real Mathematical Analysis" is compared to other books such as Strichartz's "The Way of Analysis", Ross's "Elementary Analysis" and Rosenlicht's "Intro to Analysis". Bartle and Sherbert's "Introduction to Real Analysis" is also recommended as a good introductory book. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of self-studying analysis, with Rudin's book being considered challenging even for those in a class. Dover publishing is suggested as a good resource for affordable quality books.
kmgh
I am looking to learn analysis on my own - would like to know how does the book "real mathematical analysis" by Pugh compare to baby Rudin.

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know anything about pugh, but I don't think rudin is the best book for self studying.

strichartz's the way of analysis isn't the best reference book but it describes things in a "story-like" manner which might help for someone self studying. ross's elementary analsyis is kinda comparable to a spivak calculus type deal, but more geared towarfds lower end analsyis.

ive also heard great things about rosenlicht's intro to analysis (its a cheap dover)

I really liked Introduction to Real Analysis by Bartle and Sherbert. It is a good intro book and it can be used for self study. Pretty good INTRO book. Not as thorough as other books however.

Serge Lang, Undergraduate analysis is a good book.

analysis self-learning is tough - rudin would be hard as it is if you were in a class. go with pugh.

what courses should you have b4 trying to self-study analysis?

Ditto Bartle if you are afraid of baby Rudin. Not that anyone should be afraid of baby Rudin--- it's a wonderful book!

1. What is Mathematical Analysis?

Mathematical Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of functions, sequences, and series. It is concerned with understanding and proving the fundamental concepts of calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. What is the purpose of an Intro book for Mathematical Analysis?

The purpose of an Intro book for Mathematical Analysis is to provide readers with a solid foundation in the fundamental theories and techniques of mathematical analysis. It is designed to prepare students for more advanced courses in mathematics and other fields that require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts.

3. What topics are typically covered in an Intro book for Mathematical Analysis?

An Intro book for Mathematical Analysis usually covers topics such as limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, sequences and series, and convergence. It may also include topics in real analysis, such as the Intermediate Value Theorem, Mean Value Theorem, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. Is an understanding of calculus necessary for studying Mathematical Analysis?

Yes, an understanding of calculus is necessary for studying Mathematical Analysis. The concepts and techniques of calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, are essential building blocks for understanding mathematical analysis.

5. How can I best prepare for studying Mathematical Analysis?

To prepare for studying Mathematical Analysis, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and basic algebra. It is also beneficial to have a good understanding of proof writing and mathematical reasoning. Practice problems and seeking help from a tutor or professor can also aid in preparation for studying this subject.