Synchronous Machine - Scalar Pot Solution

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the radial and tangential field distribution on the surface of a large airgap synchronous machine. The person is struggling with finding the coefficients a and b, and mentions using two cases - during short circuit and no load operation - to solve for them. They also mention being familiar with D-Q frames of reference for synchronous machines. One suggestion is to refer to a thread that discusses using Ampere's law/MMF equation to solve for the magnetic field in this scenario.
bartoszlukasik
My problem is defined like that. I am trying to find radial and tangential field distribution on a surface of the rotor of a large airgap synchronous machine. To do that I start from the general scalar potential equation solution in polar coordinates of the form pot = (ar+b/r)sin(teta). I take the gradient of this equation and have equations for both tangential and radial fields. Where I am struggling is finding a and b coefficients. In order to do it I need proper boundary conditions. So I assume two cases during the short circuit there are no radial fiel d only tangential so I can solve it for coefficients. During no load operation there is no tangential field on the side of the stator and I know the airgap flux density so I am able to find the coefficients. Is this the right approach.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am only familiar with D-Q direct-quadrature frames of reference for synchronous machines.

ping @Charles Link , can you help with this spring cleaning post?

Likes anorlunda

1. What is a synchronous machine?

A synchronous machine is a type of electric machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy or vice versa. It is a type of AC machine that operates at a constant speed, known as synchronous speed, which is determined by the frequency of the electrical system it is connected to.

2. What is the scalar pot solution for a synchronous machine?

The scalar pot solution is a mathematical technique used to analyze the performance of a synchronous machine. It involves considering the rotor flux as a constant, or scalar, quantity, and using it to solve the equations that describe the machine's behavior. This method simplifies the analysis of the machine and is commonly used in industry.

3. How does the scalar pot solution differ from the vector control strategy?

The scalar pot solution assumes that the rotor flux is constant, whereas the vector control strategy allows for the control and adjustment of the rotor flux. This means that the vector control strategy can provide more precise control of the machine's performance, but it also requires more complex and sophisticated control techniques.

4. What are the advantages of using the scalar pot solution?

The scalar pot solution is a simpler and more straightforward method of analyzing a synchronous machine compared to vector control. It also does not require advanced control techniques or expensive equipment, making it a cost-effective solution for many applications. Additionally, the scalar pot solution can provide a good approximation of the machine's behavior under steady-state conditions.

5. In what applications is the scalar pot solution commonly used?

The scalar pot solution is commonly used in applications where the performance requirements are not too stringent, and precise control of the machine is not necessary. This includes small to medium-sized synchronous machines used in power generation, industrial processes, and electric vehicles. It is also commonly used in educational settings to introduce students to the principles of synchronous machines.