Using a Lower Rated Adapter: Potential Damage to Laptop and Battery?

• Thread starter dunav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, an ampere (A) is the unit of measurement for electric current and can be measured using an ammeter. Amps measure the flow of current while volts measure the force driving it. Too many amps can damage electronic devices, making it important to use the correct amperage charger. Amps can be converted to watts using the formula: amps x volts = watts.
dunav
So, I find myself without the AC adapter for my laptop and I need power.

My adapter is rated 19.5v 4.7a.

I have an adapter from an older machine (same manufacturer), rated 19.5v 3a.

The physical connection to the laptop is the same.

Will I damage the laptop and/or the battery if I use this lower rated adapter?

Or will the battery simply charge slower?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Insufficient information to tell you anything certain.

There is a good possibility you would damage the lower power adapter as it gets overloaded.
If the adapter fails it could damage the computer.

Using a lower rated adapter can potentially cause damage to both your laptop and battery. The voltage and amperage ratings on your adapter are specifically designed to meet the power needs of your laptop. Using an adapter with a lower voltage or amperage rating can result in insufficient power supply to your laptop, causing it to overwork and potentially overheat. This can lead to damage to the internal components of your laptop and decrease its overall lifespan.

Additionally, using a lower rated adapter can also affect your battery. The battery may not charge properly or may charge slower than usual, which can also cause damage over time. It is always best to use the recommended adapter for your laptop to ensure its safe and optimal functioning.

If you find yourself without the proper adapter, it is recommended to purchase a new one with the correct voltage and amperage ratings rather than risking damage to your laptop and battery. Using a lower rated adapter may seem like a temporary solution, but it can have long-term consequences. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the safety and longevity of your electronic devices.

1. What is an ampere?

An ampere (A) is the unit of measurement for electric current. It is defined as the amount of electric charge that passes through a given point in one second when there is a constant flow of one coulomb of electricity.

2. How is an ampere measured?

Amps can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit to measure the flow of current. The ammeter measures the current in amperes and displays the reading on a scale.

3. What is the difference between amps and volts?

Amps and volts are both units of measurement for electricity, but they measure different aspects. Amps measure the amount of current flowing through a circuit, while volts measure the force or potential difference that drives the current. In simple terms, amps can be thought of as the volume of water flowing through a pipe, while volts are the pressure of the water pushing it through the pipe.

4. Can too many amps damage my electronic devices?

Yes, too many amps can damage electronic devices. Each electronic device has a specific amperage rating that it can handle. If the amps flowing through the device exceed this rating, it can cause overheating and damage to the device. This is why it is important to use the correct amperage charger for your electronic devices.

5. How do I convert amps to watts?

To convert amps to watts, you can use the formula: amps x volts = watts. This formula takes into account the electrical current (amps) and the force driving it (volts) to calculate the amount of power (watts) being used. For example, if a device is using 2 amps of current and is connected to a 120-volt outlet, it would use 240 watts of power.