Does this make sense in set theory?

They've been having a good time ever since. :rofl:The idea, of course, is that { y | y= f(x) for some x in A } is an alternate notation for the set of all elements y such that there exists an x in A such that y= f(x). That is, the set of all images of elements in A. The notation { f(x) | x in A } is the set of all images of elements in A. In the first case, we're looking at what y is; in the second case, we're looking at the actual values of y. The notation { y | y in some set } doesn't have anything to do with the elements
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

Let X be any set, f a function. Let f:X->Y

Does f(A) make sense for A in X?

I know f^(-1)(B) makes sense for B in Y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see why not

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, of course it does. f(A) is defined as {y| y= f(x) for some x in A}. In other words it is all values in y that you can actually "get to" using f.

f-1(B)= {x| f(x) is in B}.

Can you answer this: if f(x)= x2 and A= [-2, 1], what is f(A)?

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, of course it does. f(A) is defined as {y| y= f(x) for some x in A}. In other words it is all values in y that you can actually "get to" using f.

Wouldn't you say for all x in A?

HallsofIvy said:

Since f is bijective, f(A)=[1,4]

pivoxa15 said:

You could do that, but why waste the words when there's no confusion?

And x^2 is *not* bijective. Think again...

HallsofIvy said:
pivoxa15 said:
No, I wouldn't! 4 is in f(A) for the example below because 4= f(-2). But it certainly is NOT true that 4= f(x) for ALL x in A!

HallsofIvy said:

pivoxa15 said:
Since f is clearly not bijective (it in neither injective nor surjective) that is not correct. To make one obvious point 0 is in [-2,1] so f(0)= 0 must be in f(A). It is NOT in [1, 4].

My bad, I should have drawn a graph. f(A)=[0,4]

With regards to 'f(A) is defined as {y| y= f(x) for some x in A}' What if I view y as a variable? So it is intepreted as all y in the codomain of f such that y=f(x) for all x in A.

It depends on how you're doing your set-building.

If we use comprehension, we are thinking about the elements of Y in the image of A.
[tex]f(A) = \{ \, y \in Y \mid \exists x \in A : f(x) = y \, \}[/tex]

If we use replacement, we are thinking about replacing every element of A with its image.
[tex]f(A) = \{ \, f(x) \mid x \in A \, \}[/tex]

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
My bad, I should have drawn a graph. f(A)=[0,4]

With regards to 'f(A) is defined as {y| y= f(x) for some x in A}' What if I view y as a variable? So it is intepreted as all y in the codomain of f such that y=f(x) for all x in A.

in {y| y= f(x) for some x in A}, y is a member of a set, not a variable.

Hurkyl said:
It depends on how you're doing your set-building.

If we use comprehension, we are thinking about the elements of Y in the image of A.

If we use replacement, we are thinking about replacing every element of A with its image.
[tex]f(A) = \{ \, f(x) \mid x \in A \, \}[/tex]

RIght. So I was thinking of 'replacement language' when intepreting HallsIvy's 'comprehension language' which obviously is not allowed hence the confusion.

pivoxa15 said:
RIght. So I was thinking of 'replacement language' when intepreting HallsIvy's 'comprehension language' which obviously is not allowed hence the confusion.
What do you mean by "is not allowed"? :confused:

Hurkyl said:
What do you mean by "is not allowed"? :confused:

Adding y in replacement language
[tex]f(A) = \{ \, y=f(x) \mid x \in A \, \}[/tex]

and intepreting that y as the same y in comprehension language.

pivoxa15 said:
[tex]f(A) = \{ \, y=f(x) \mid x \in A \, \}[/tex]
This certainly isn't grammatically correct. You have a free variable y, and the expression doesn't match any set-builder notation I know.

Anyways, it strikes me that I should have made a more positive response, and I'll do that now.

The axiom of comprehension (a.k.a. axiom of subsets) says that if you have some set S and some predicate P, there exists a set containing exactly those elements of S that satisfy P. A standard way to denote that set is with the syntax
[tex]\{ \, s \in S \mid P(s) \, \}.[/tex]
Sometimes, when S can be inferred from the context, you will see the shorthand notation
[tex]\{ \, s \mid P(s) \, \}.[/tex]

So, the expression
is certainly a grammatically correct mathematical statement.

Ouch! "Replacement Language"? "Comprehesion Language"? This is getting too deep for me. Whatever happened to good old set theory?

HallsofIvy said:
Ouch! "Replacement Language"? "Comprehesion Language"? This is getting too deep for me. Whatever happened to good old set theory?

Left with Russell when he got his barber to shave him.

1. Does set theory have real-world applications?

Yes, set theory has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as computer science, statistics, and linguistics. It is used to model relationships and structures in various systems, and to make predictions and solve problems.

2. What is the difference between a set and a element in set theory?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, while an element is one of the objects within that set. In other words, a set is a group or category, and an element is a member or part of that group.

3. How does set theory relate to logic?

Set theory and logic are closely related, as set theory is often used as a foundation for mathematical logic. In set theory, statements can be expressed using logical symbols such as "and," "or," and "not," and logical principles can be used to prove theorems about sets.

4. Can any mathematical concept be expressed in set theory?

Yes, set theory is a powerful and flexible framework that can be used to represent and manipulate a wide range of mathematical concepts. Many branches of mathematics, such as algebra and topology, are based on set theory.

5. What is the role of axioms in set theory?

Axioms are fundamental assumptions or principles that serve as the basis for a mathematical system. In set theory, axioms define the properties and operations of sets, and they are used to prove theorems and build more complex mathematical structures.